Swan River Press
|Founder||Brian J. Showers|
|Country of origin||Ireland|
|Fiction genres||Gothic, Supernatural and Fantastic literature|
Swan River Press is an Irish publishing company dedicated to Gothic, Supernatural and Fantastic literature. It was founded in Dublin in 2003, by Brian J. Showers. It remains an independent small press book publisher. It has an emphasis on past and present by Irish and Ireland related contributions to the genre.
History and operations
The company name comes from the subterranean waterway which flows through the neighbourhood of Rathmines in Dublin and the logo was created by Duane Spurlock from the image of the keystone on the entrance of the Rathmines town hall.
The press began to produce a twice-yearly journal The Green Book: Writings on Irish Gothic, Supernatural and Fantastic Literature in 2013.Ellen Datlow called the journal "A welcome addition to the realm of accessible nonfiction about supernatural horror."
Swan River is notable for publishing high quality editions with dustjackets, printed boards, sewn binding, and head and tail bands on the hard bound books and all booklets being hand sewn. The press is financed by the sales of the books and by patrons who can sign up at various levels of support.
- Lucy M. Boston (1892 – 1990)
- Helen Grant
- Lafcadio Hearn (1850-1904)
- Joel Lane (1963-2013)
- Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (1814-1873)
- Thomas Leland (1722-1785)
- Dorothy Macardle (1889-1958)
- Henry Chapman Mercer (1856-1930)
- Reggie Oliver
- Rosalie Parker
- John Reppion
- R.B. Russell
- Bram Stoker (1847-1912)
- Steve Rasnic Tem
- Mark Valentine
- Mervyn Wall (1908-1997)
- "the independent publishing magazine". Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "irish times". Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "The American Scholar". Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Swan River Blog". Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Homepage". Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "washington post". Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "trumpetville". Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- Insect Literature' by Lafcadio Hearn
- The Best Horror of the Year, Volume 5 Ellen Datlow Start Publishing, 2013