Sweet Thing (Keith Urban song)
|Single by Keith Urban|
|from the album Defying Gravity|
|Released||3 November 2008|
|Songwriter(s)||Monty Powell, Keith Urban|
|Producer(s)||Dann Huff, Keith Urban|
|Keith Urban singles chronology|
"Sweet Thing" is a song co-written and recorded by Australian country music singer Keith Urban. It was released on 3 November 2008 as the first single from his 2009 album Defying Gravity. It made its debut on the Hot Country Songs charts at number 30, becoming Urban's nineteenth Top 40 country hit, and on the chart week of 14 March 2009, it became his tenth number 1 single. This song also went on to win his third win for 2010 Grammy Award for Best Male Country Vocal Performance in 2010. This is Keith's first Top 40 hit on the Pop chart since "Once in a Lifetime" in 2006 and first Top 30 hit on the Pop chart since "You'll Think of Me" in 2004. The song was written by Urban and Monty Powell.
"Sweet Thing" is an up-tempo country pop song in which the male narrator talks about his first dates with his lover together, including meeting "in the backyard under the cottonwood tree" and "kissin' on the porch swing", as well as the lover exiting the house through her bedroom window "while the world's sleeping." The lyrics were inspired by Urban's relationship with his Ford Mustang, which is seen in this song's music video. Urban recorded the song at The Castle Recording Studios in Franklin, Tennessee.
The official music video for "Sweet Thing" was directed by Trey Fanjoy and premiered on 19 January 2009. The video and was shot inside a barn in Spring Hill, Tennessee and many scenes were also shot in Lebanon, Tennessee including the diner and the '70s house. They originally were to shoot the video outside, but it was too rainy. So instead, they were forced to use the farm. The acting scenes were also shot in Spring Hill. The Ford Mustang seen in the barn is Urban's own.
In popular culture
This song appears in the video game Tap Tap Revenge 2.
|Australia (ARIA Charts)||96|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||45|
|US Billboard Hot 100||30|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||9|
- "Keith Urban preps new single, "Sweet Thing"". Country Standard Time. 28 October 2008. Retrieved 24 November 2008.
- "Keith Urban's new single based on own romantic life". One India. 21 November 2008. Retrieved 24 November 2008.
- "Keith Urban Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "Keith Urban Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "Keith Urban Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "Best of 2009: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2009. Retrieved 13 December 2009.