Kiss a Girl
|"Kiss A Girl"|
|Single by Keith Urban|
|from the album Defying Gravity|
|Released||10 March 2009|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Songwriter(s)||Keith Urban, Monty Powell|
|Producer(s)||Dann Huff, Keith Urban|
|Keith Urban singles chronology|
"Kiss a Girl" is a song co-written and recorded by Australian country music singer Keith Urban. It was released in March 2009 as the second single from his 2009 album Defying Gravity. The song reached number 3 on the US Billboard Hot Country Songs chart. The song also became his highest peak on the Billboard Hot 100 at number 16, and his only Top 20 on that chart to date.
Along with eventual Idol winner Kris Allen, Urban performed the song live during the finale of the eighth season of American Idol on 20 May 2009. "Kiss a Girl" is part of the track list for Now That's What I Call Country Volume 2.
"Kiss a Girl" is a moderate up-tempo song in which the male narrator expresses a desire to fall in love with a female.
Thom Jurek of AllMusic cited "Kiss a Girl" as a standout track on the album, calling it a "tight little rocker". He said that it and "Sweet Thing", the album's first single, "are 21st century equivalents of rock & roll love songs." Jonathan Keefe of Slant Magazine described the song unfavorably, saying that it was a retread of his previous single "Sweet Thing", which itself was described as a retread of Urban's earlier material.
The promotional video for the song premiered in April 2009 on CMT's website. It consists of Urban and his band performing in front of a green screen. Some of these scenes were later edited and included the TV video.
The official video was found on iTunes on 25 May 2009. It consists of Urban and the band performing in an animated city. Also included is two people who eventually find each other and fall in love. At the end, the ferris wheel they ride displays "KISS" on each car, a reference to the song's title. This video debuted on CMT's Top Twenty Countdown at No. 11 for the week of June 5, 2009 and has peaked at No. 2. It also reached No. 3 on GAC's Top 20 Countdown.
|1.||"Kiss a Girl" (single mix)||3:46|
|2.||"Kiss a Girl" (album mix)||
|3.||"Only You Can Love Me This Way"||
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||34|
|US Billboard Hot 100||16|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||11|
|US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)||40|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||3|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||35|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||25|
Certifications and sales
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|Worldwide||10 March 2009||Digital download||Capitol Nashville|||
|United States||16 March 2009||Country radio||Capitol|||
|Australia||14 July 2009||CD single|||
- Jurek, Thom. "Defying Gravity review". Allmusic. Retrieved 9 April 2009.
- Keefe, Jonathan (30 March 2009). "Defying Gravity review". Slant. Archived from the original on 3 April 2009. Retrieved 9 April 2009.
- "ARIA Report (Issue #1005)" ARIA Top 100 Singles. National Library of Australia. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Keith Urban Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "Keith Urban Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "Keith Urban Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "Keith Urban Chart History (Adult Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "Keith Urban Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "Adult Contemporary Songs - Year-End 2009". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Country Songs - Year-End 2009". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 13 December 2009.
- "American single certifications – Keith Urban – Kiss a Girl". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 12 February 2017. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- Heather (4 March 2009). "Keith Urban Releasing Weekly Singles Until Album Debut". Crushable. Defy Media. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Single Releases". MusicRow. Archived from the original on 22 March 2009. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Kiss a Girl - Keith Urban | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 12 February 2017.