|Education||Maastricht Academy of Dramatic Arts|
Hoeks also speaks French and German, and has played roles in productions in her native Dutch, as well as in English, French, and German.
Early life and education
Shortly after graduation from the Maastricht Academy of Dramatic Arts, Hoeks had a main role in the Dutch TV film Staatsgevaarlijk. In 2005, Hoeks appeared as a mistress in the series Gooische Vrouwen and had a main role in the psychological thriller series Vuurzee.
Hoeks' breakthrough was in the Jos Stelling film Duska (2007). She won a Golden Calf (the Dutch equivalent of an Academy Award) for Best Supporting Actress for the role. She next played Julia in The Storm (2009), and the title role in Tirza (2010). Hoeks starred as Johanna van Heesch in The Gang of Oss in 2011, and as Elise in The Girl and Death in 2012. In 2013, she played Claire Ibbetson in the film The Best Offer, her first international role.
Hoeks portrayed the replicant Luv in the 2017 science fiction film Blade Runner 2049. She trained with weights and in martial arts for six hours a day, six days a week before and during filming. Hoeks appeared as Lara in the Steven Quale action film Renegades. In February 2017, she was cast as Leigh in All the Devil's Men. In 2018, Hoeks played Lisbeth Salander's sister in the thriller The Girl in the Spider's Web, the sequel to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. In 2019, Hoeks appeared as Queen Kane in the Apple TV+ drama series See.
Hoeks is starring in Jordan Scott's upcoming thriller Berlin Nobody, which is set to shoot in September 2022. The film is produced by Ridley Scott’s Scott Free Productions and also stars Eric Bana & Kiernan Shipka.
|2011||The Gang of Oss||Johanna van Heesch|
|2012||Vatertage – Opa über Nacht||Debbie|
|2012||The Girl and Death||Elise|
|2013||The Best Offer||Claire Ibbetson|
|Bros Before Hos||Anna|
|Blade Runner 2049||Luv|
|2018||All the Devil's Men||Leigh|
|The Girl in the Spider's Web||Camilla Salander|
|TBA||Berlin Nobody||Nina||In Production|
|2005–2009||Vuurzee||Sonja Looman||Main role (24 episodes)|
|2006||Gooische Vrouwen||Lucy||4 episodes|
|2009–2013||'t Schaep met de 5 pooten||Ellie de Beer||3 episodes|
|2010–2014||Bloedverwanten||Antje Zwager||Main role (24 episodes)|
|2011–2015||Overspel||Iris van Erkel-Hoegaarde||Main role (32 episodes)|
|2016||Berlin Station||Claudia Gartner||2 episodes|
|2019–present||See||Queen Kane||Main role|
- 2007: Golden Calf for Best Supporting Actress for Duska
- 2009: Best Actress at the Festroia International Film Festival for The Storm
- 2011: Shooting Stars Award
- 2014: Sylvia Kristel Award
- 2017: IGN's Best of 2017 Award nomination for Best Supporting Performer in a Movie for Blade Runner 2049
- "Sylvia Hoeks: Het Brabantse blijft altijd in me zitten". Weekend Online (in Dutch). 2018-10-16. Retrieved 2020-12-23.
- Smith, Krista (25 August 2017). "Sylvia Hoeks Is Ready for Her American Debut". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- "10 Europeans to Watch in 2017". Variety. 31 January 2017. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- Guccione, Bob, Jr. "Actress Sylvia Hoeks on working with Harrison Ford, what she's most attracted to in a man, and training six hours a day for Blade Runner 2049". Men's Fitness. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- Danielsen, Shane (31 January 2011). "Berlinale: Shooting stars 2011". Variety. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- Ivan-Zadeh, Larushka (4 October 2017). "Sylvia Hoeks: 'Blade Runner overwhelmed me, it was so high fashion'". Metro.news. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- "Golden Calf Winners 1981 to date". Nederlands Film Festival. Retrieved 11 October 2017 – via Filmfestival.nl.
- Geier, Thom (26 April 2016). "Blade Runner 2 Casts Dutch Actress Sylvia Hoeks". TheWrap. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- van Hoeij, Boyd (23 October 2011). "Review: The Gang of Oss". Variety. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- Weissberg, Jay (24 January 2013). "Review: The Best Offer". Variety. Retrieved 9 October 2017.
- Galuppo, Mia (26 April 2016). "Dutch Actress Sylvia Hoeks Joins Cast of Blade Runner". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 9 October 2017.
- Alexander, Bryan (6 October 2017). "Who is the killer replicant Luv? Meet Blade Runner 2049 breakout Sylvia Hoeks". USA Today. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- A. Lincoln, Ross (1 April 2015). "Matt Lanter Boards USS Indianapolis With Nicolas Cage; Two More Jump In The Lake". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 9 October 2017.
- McNary, Dave (13 February 2017). "Sylvia Hoeks, William Fichtner Join Milo Gibson's Action-Thriller All the Devil's Men". Variety. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (20 October 2017). "Blade Runner Breakout Sylvia Hoeks Joins Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Sequel". Variety. Retrieved 21 October 2017.
- Petski, Denise (August 3, 2018). "Sylvia Hoeks & Archie Madekwe Join Apple Drama Series See From Steven Knight & Francis Lawrence". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- Alex Ritman (May 19, 2022). "'Blade Runner 2049' Star Sylvia Hoeks Joins 'Berlin Nobody' as Protagonist Closes Key Sales (Exclusive)". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 19, 2022.
- "Sylvia Hoeks wint eerste Sylvia Kristel Award" [Sylvia Hoeks wins first Sylvia Kristel Award]. NU.nl (in Dutch). 5 September 2014. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- "Awards". FilmbytheSea.nl (in Dutch). Film by the Sea. Retrieved 12 October 2017.
- "Fourth Sylvia Kristel Award goes to Romy Louise Lauwers". Hoholok.com. Retrieved 11 October 2017.