Talk:1966 Toro earthquake
|WikiProject Earthquakes||(Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)|
|WikiProject Africa / Burundi / Democratic Republic of the Congo / Kenya / Rwanda / Tanzania / Uganda||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
|A fact from 1966 Toro earthquake appeared on Wikipedia's Main Page in the Did you know? column on 11 May 2012 (check views). The text of the entry was as follows: "Did you know
- By 1966 the country was already the DRC, it was between 1971 and 1997 that it was known as Zaire, but it has since changed back to the DRC. This means that when referring to both the time of the earthquake and the current situation we should refer to the DRC, which is what the article does. That's my understanding of the naming history, no doubt someone will tell me if I've got it wrong. Mikenorton (talk) 18:22, 11 May 2012 (UTC)
- It's something really confusing. The name of the country had been changed to the Democratic Republic of the Congo in January 1964 or on August 1, 1964 (sources differ) before it was renamed to the Republic of Zaire on October 27, 1971. I'm surprised at the degree in which sources differ. I'm not even sure whether the country should have been called the Federal Republic of Congo or the Republic of the Congo before its name was first changed to the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Qrfqr (talk) 18:32, 11 May 2012 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on 1966 Toro earthquake. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110806192457/http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/data/centennial.pdf to http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/data/centennial.pdf
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.