Talk:Certificate of identity

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Travel and Tourism (Rated Stub-class)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Travel and Tourism, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of travel and tourism related articles on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Stub-Class article Stub  This article has been rated as Stub-Class on the project's quality scale.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the project's importance scale.
Note icon
This article has been marked as needing immediate attention.


I don't understand why this article is at Alien's passport - it reads to be mostly as certificates of identity and would it not be better off there. I'm not entirely convinced that an Alien's passport is the same as a certificate of identity.--Spartaz 23:16, 6 September 2006 (UTC)


{{RFCsoc }} I see no evidence that Alien's passports and Certificates of identity are separate things, rather than just different state's names for the same thing. However, the references given show that these are different from refugee's documents. I therefore suggest merging Alien's passport and CoI, and if necessary, creating an article at Refugee's travel document. OrangeDog (talkedits) 23:41, 9 January 2009 (UTC)

I agree with merger but disagree with calling it a "Refugee's travel document". As far as I can see there are other reasons a person might be issued with such a document. Since the English speaking countries call it a "Certificate of identity", that's what we should call it. —Blue-Haired Lawyer 14:02, 19 February 2009 (UTC)
To clarify, the initial idea is to have two separate articles, Certificate of Identity and Refugee's travel document. From what I can see from the references, I think these entities are usually distinct.–OrangeDog (talkedits) 17:59, 19 February 2009 (UTC)
I appear to have misread but then you did say, "I see no evidence that Alien's passports and Certificates of identity are separate things," so you can understand my confusion. I don't think we should have different articles for the same thing, even if they do have different names. After all we have one article for metro, subway and underground, rather than three. But never mind that for now...
There already is a article on Refugees' travel documents it's called 1951 Convention Travel Document. — Blue-Haired Lawyer 19:11, 19 February 2009 (UTC)
This page] confirms this. See the English writing and the date of the Refugee Convention written on the blue passport. — Blue-Haired Lawyer 19:15, 19 February 2009 (UTC)
I'm also guessing that certificates of identity and aliens' passports count as 1954 Convention Travel Documents (different year), but I'll have to check. — Blue-Haired Lawyer 19:11, 19 February 2009 (UTC)

Cool, would you mind performing the necessary merges and redirects as you appear far more knowledgeable than me on this. OrangeDog (talkedits) 03:34, 27 February 2009 (UTC)

I think the Nansen passport is a good starting point for the intended difference between these documents. The intention of Nansen with his innovative ID was that there would be a 'right of return', thus allowing destination countries to take a more relaxed position on admission of prospective entrants, secure in the knowledge that they could be returned to the intermediate country if refugee/immigrant proved 'problematic' for whatever reason. Prior to this, IDs issued at intermediate countries without right of return were found to have very limited value as travel docs for this reason. RashersTierney (talk) 19:12, 15 April 2010 (UTC)