|WikiProject Plants||(Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)|
|WikiProject Forestry||(Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)|
The article could be bigger and with red words in BLUE, please
"why are they important? what habitat are they living? what animals eat their seeds? are they important economically? what minerals or grounds they need?" I ask you if you could enlarge Dipterocarpaceae making better known this group of trees in Wikipedia, adding links to "Dipterocarpaceae" and information about "Dipterocarpaceae" existence on topics as trees articles in tropical articles or botanical or biodiversity articles. You are welcome if you want edit this article, Lauraceae or some genera or species in these families or another one. Really, there are few knowledge about tropical and subtropical trees and they are so many. I thank you very much your help.Curritocurrito (talk) 20:13, 23 May 2012 (UTC)
Knowledge of Dipterocarpaceae
The following was copied here by User:Curritocurrito:
Hi Curritocurrito, thanks for your post at WikiProject Forestry. If you could elaborate a little more either there or at Talk:Dipterocarpaceae about what specific additions you might suggest for that article, that would be helpful. Thanks, DA Sonnenfeld (talk) 19:04, 23 May 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks for your reply. I suggest that you add your questions -- "why are they important? what habitat are they living? what animals eat their seeds? are they important economically? what minerals or grounds they need?" -- to the Talk:Dipterocarpaceae page. That will help others think about how they might contribute to that article. DA Sonnenfeld (talk) 20:03, 23 May 2012 (UTC)
I don't get much time to edit Wikipedia pages, but am slowly trying to creat stubs for all the Dipterocarps and correct errors in existing stubs/article. If anyone is interested in editing these pages and needs access to primary sources - I have a reasonable collection of papers (mainly for SE Asia) and can send pdfs.
RE: the questions raised above
are they important economically? - they use to be the main timber export from SE Asia. I don't have figures for what % of the timber trade they account for now
what minerals or grounds they need?- variable - there is a high degree of habitat speacilsation. Some species only occur in Peatswamps, other in poor sand soils i.e. heath forests, others on rich clay soils.
what animals eat their seeds? - when they fruit, which varies from yearly in some of the Sri Lankan species to onces every x (2-16) years in some of the Borneo species - they are an important food source. Sepilok2007 (talk) 23:16, 23 May 2012 (UTC)
These trees are both economically and ecologically important - although disappearing fast! I am trying to clarify what we have here in Cat Tien National Park and will contribute - although only an amateur botanist ... Roy Bateman (talk) 03:36, 22 January 2014 (UTC)
Reverted to an older version
Much of the ecology info is incorrect. Bees are only important for the large flowered species - Parashorea, Dipterocarpus and some of the larger flowered Shoreas. Most of the other use a mixture of thrips/beetles. Most species don't flower annually, but participate in the General FloweringSepilok2007 (talk) 06:43, 13 October 2012 (UTC)
- Perhaps this is an example of relying on a single flora, in this case perhaps the one for Thailand. (I don't have access to that document.) I've seen that sort of thing happen with the Flora of China, which is very accessible online, that the description only covers the taxa that occur in China, but some editors don't realize that the species that occur elsewhere have different characteristics. Sminthopsis84 (talk) 16:18, 13 October 2012 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Dipterocarpaceae. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20101213041459/http://delta-intkey.com/angio/ to http://delta-intkey.com/angio/
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070103200438/http://delta-intkey.com:80/ to http://delta-intkey.com
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.