Talk:House painter and decorator

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
WikiProject Home Living (Rated Start-class)
WikiProject iconThis article is within the scope of WikiProject Home Living, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of home related articles on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the quality scale.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the importance scale.
WikiProject Visual arts (Rated Start-class)
WikiProject iconThis article is within the scope of WikiProject Visual arts, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of visual arts on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.

Find sources: Google (books · news · newspapers · scholar · free images · WP refs· FENS · JSTOR · NYT · TWL

Inconsistent Tone[edit]

Later parts of the article read like a Tips & Tricks article, with random url's that may or may not be ref's gone wrong. Needs clean-up. — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 15:16, 18 July 2011 (UTC)

Move to "decorative painting"[edit]

I moved this article to "decorative painting" because I believe that the content is best described as "decorative painting" (the term is a way to differentiate between artistic painting on a canvas or the ceiling of a cathedral and every other kind of painting, like cars, boats, houses and offices). Perhaps "painter and decorator" (the old name) is a common job term in other countries (I live in the United States). However, to me, it seemed like a very awkward way to come up with a way to separate it from artistic painting. If it is a common term in Europe and/or commonwealth countries, I think that we should try to come up with some sort of international compromise, as I have never heard it before coming across this article. Also, the naming conventions favor the use of the gerund ("ing" ending). There are times when there is enough information to have articles on more than one version of a term, such as with engineer and engineering. However, that is not the case here, at least not yet. Wallpapering was mentioned in the move back to the old title, but the article makes only three mentions of wallpapering and two out of the three mentions are about the removal of wallpaper so that the wall can be painted. Also, the third mention seems to be about making fake wallpaper by stenciling. Finally, most, and possibly all, of the article needs to be rewritten anyway because it has no sources. I suggest replying here if anyone has a problem with any of this. However, it would help a lot if a notice were put on my talk page, as I do not watch all of the articles that I edit. There are simply too many. Thanks, Kjkolb (talk) 10:29, 9 April 2009 (UTC)

  • I've moved it to "House painting and decorating" to solve the concerns raised regarding favoring the use of the gerund ("ing" ending). Beyond that, there may well be issues regarding the commonality of the term and how best to describe the article, but those would require discussion, not boldness. As to references, someone appears to have removed the reference I used to write the article, a quick survey through the edit history quickly amended that. I very rarely add unsourced material to Wikipedia in line with policy. Hiding T 11:16, 9 April 2009 (UTC)
  • Also, a quick survey of every other article on a construction worker reveals it is not at a title favoring the gerund ("ing" ending). I think, therefore, there is a wider issue here that merits wider discussion outside of this one article. I think probably the best bet is to move this to House painter and decorator in line with other articles, and work towards building a consensus across the trade articles for consistency and an informed end result. Hiding T 11:36, 9 April 2009 (UTC)
  • And decorative painting is usually used to discuss fine artistry on jewellery and fine art objects. Hiding T 11:39, 9 April 2009 (UTC)

I am a painter in the U.S. and I don't see a problem with calling us "painters and decorators." However, the word decorator does usually refer to an interior decorator, which is a different profession. The more common usage is painter and finisher. Also decorative painting refers to faux painting and finishing, and can be painting your lampshades with butterflies and ladybugs. It is usually a step down from art but a step up from straight painting. I came here hoping to find more information on the wide variety of paints and painting techniques, but I guess I'll have to keep searching. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 20:00, 19 November 2009 (UTC)

Experience and skills are acquired over time. consensus across the trades of painters only not construction workers such as carpenters ect.. house painter is the subject. painter decorator is the painter that applies colors; that is by surface area. Best found in House painter and decorator. Professional painter is skilled experienced and knowledgeable.

Painter specialty by professions (trade). Exterior house painter decorator. Interior house painter decorator. exterior and interior painters use different paints and work in different environments.

Wallpaper removal is common in prep. Before wallpaper is adhered to the surface prep with a professional painter. Wallpaper paper hangers need experience in painting to understand the working surface.

The art of using a paint brush- freehand (professional) or with tape to make a strait line in the middle of a wall. I was an interior decorator when I showed how many color options where available during the estimate process. I decorate houses by professionally painting them colors. If source or guidance is needed consultant with a professional painter for information.

straight painting? each paint is a trade each surface is a trade each tool is a trade. The joining of the professional painters languages in the art of painting specifically house not apartment or ship. Create Links-I vote for add it all sort it out later. Major links in the trade American Institute Of Architects American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) American National Standards Institute - ANSI United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) For Researchers (Library of Congress) Just to name a few. Its up to the professional painter to learn it all and then to interpret what it all is. There is an ongoing consensus with each of the major links on which is right and wrong. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 09:30, 1 July 2010 (UTC)

professional painters in Charlotte NC[edit] — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 05:20, 14 December 2011 (UTC)