Talk:List of American Civil War generals (Union)
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the List of American Civil War generals (Union) article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
This page has a contradiction. It claims General McPherson was the only general to die in action (KIA), but the first general listed, Henry Livermnore Abbott is listed as KIA, along with many others, i.e. Farnsworth... Bloozthunder (talk) 01:31 26 July 2013
- Right, first tings first; when leaving a comment on a talk page, don't just leave it any old place; hit "New Section" rather than "Edit Page" if it's a new comment, and it will we placed on the bottom as it should be, or hit "Edit Section" for the relevant comment if you're responding to a previous user. What you did was stick it somewhere completely random in the middle of a template where there was no place for it, so the comment was entirely invisible (and unsigned) and I had to go into the page history to find it. I've now fixed it.
- Second, the article doesn't say that James McPherson is the only general to die in action, it says that he was the only Union army commander to die in action; McPherson was commander of the Army of the Tennessee at the time of his death, meaning he was the only general holding such a high command when he was killed; every other general killed was commanding a corps, division, brigade, or (in the case of some of the brevetted ones) a regiment when they died. IcarusPhoenix (talk) 16:36, 26 July 2013 (UTC)
The link for Timothy Patrick Andrews redirects to the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum, which appears to have nothing to do with the general. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 11:56, 23 September 2013 (UTC)
- Yeah, there is - a yet - no article for General Andrews; it looks like the president of the museum is a non-notable by the name of Tim Andrews; someone seems to have decided in January that while he doesn't merit his own article, he apparently was the only Timothy Andrews in history and therefore redirected the whole namespace to the museum; I've fixed it with a disambiguation page. IcarusPhoenix (talk) 18:56, 23 September 2013 (UTC)
Civil War era bed with initials
My parents found a civil war era headboard and footboard bed with the Union crest on the headboard. It has a piece of metal on the side rails with a date of 1865 on it and there are initials on both the headboard and footboard of 'FET'. I cannot find any Generals with those initials, but did other officers have beds in the field? JDHumke (talk) 23:56, 12 January 2016 (UTC)
General Bill France
Devil_Anse_Hatfield and another related article refer to General Bill France, but we don't have an article for him, or even a redirect to a unit. Is he more than just Hatfield McCoy folklore? ϢereSpielChequers 13:55, 10 February 2016 (UTC)
Deletion/Cleanup uf brevet generals
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 4 external links on List of American Civil War generals (Union). Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20080220100734/http://www.homepages.dsu.edu/jankej/civilwar/generals.htm to http://www.homepages.dsu.edu/jankej/civilwar/generals.htm
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20080215222858/http://www.alia.org.au/~kwebb/Brevets/ to http://www.alia.org.au/~kwebb/Brevets/
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20080306061229/http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/wpcongen.html to http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/wpcongen.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20080306062513/http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/wpungen.html to http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/wpungen.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.