Talk:List of Brisbane suburbs
|This page was nominated for deletion on 2007-02-06. The result of the discussion was Keep.|
|WikiProject Australia / Brisbane / Queensland||(Rated List-class)|
Please don't add localities that are in metropolitan Brisbane but are not part of the city. This will prevent arguments over what is or is not part of Brisbane.Grace Note 23:34, 10 Feb 2005 (UTC)
Please try not to add localities that are not gazetted as suburbs too. I left Kalinga in but isn't it only a few streets in Woolowin?Grace Note 05:12, 10 February 2006 (UTC)
Sinnamon Park is listed twice - once in Western and once in Southern. I know technically it's South-West, but it's the only double-up and should just be assigned to one. Any votes for which? My feeling would be South, like Darra, as it's not on the Western side of the highway like the other Centenary suburbs are like Mount Ommaney, Westlake, Jindalee and so on. --Rockchicklibrarian (talk) 11:23, 30 December 2015 (UTC)
- Since Sherwood, Corinda and Oxley are listed as western, I think Sinnamon Park and Darra are both western too. Sinnamon Park is very much one of the "Centenary suburbs" (Jindalee etc). Looking at a map, my informal sense of what's south and what's west seems to suggest that Oxley Creek (a flood plain) is the natural dividing line, which makes sense as it would have tended to quarantine development to either side. Kerry (talk) 20:52, 30 December 2015 (UTC)
It looks to me like Mansfield is the only suburb with an infobox. I'm planning to put infoboxes on all the suburbs I create (which, if I don't die in the attempt, will be all of them) but I don't much like the one that's there. Does anyone care enough about it to have a say?
As a rough idea of what I'm considering, it would be Title above the box (not key facts because that doesn't match other infoboxes), then year gazetted, postal code, population. I don't really like the surrounding suburbs thing in the box, but I think it would work at the bottom of the article. Even better would be a map, but I don't have a suitable drawing package to make it with. If I can get a PD or free use map, I might try to do something.
Does anyone else have a view on this? I'd be more than happy to chat here or on my userpage. Does anyone have a view on what should be included in articles on suburbs? What would be good to see? My dream is a whole set of standardised articles, one for each suburb, with pictures and boxes. Grace Note 12:59, 2 May 2005 (UTC)
Direction of this article
I wanted to discuss where this article is heading. I believe that if we want to meet the guidelines in WP:CSL we can do one of two things. Either improve this page so it is sorted on something that is not alphabetical, but instead a breakdown by location (proximity to city, direction from city). OR we should endeavour to create pages for every suburb missing a page and then remove this list in favour of the category page 'Suburbs of Brisbane'. At the moment this page is redundant, at least it will be when all the suburb pages have been created.
Anyone have suggestions about a better way to organise this page so it may live on?
Rimmeraj 12:12, 15 November 2006 (UTC)
- The names of the suburbs being given in alphabetical order does make articles about the suburbs easier to find, so, perhaps it would be best to retain the alphabetical order of the suburbs — at least until a time when article pages have been set up for each of the suburbs, following which the category page 'Suburbs of Brisbane' should be sufficient.
- I cannot think of a way in which this page could be better organized. Figaro 16:53, 15 November 2006 (UTC)
- All suburbs have now had pages created, some being very brief, but over time hopefully will be filled out.Rimmeraj 05:32, 17 November 2006 (UTC)
- I just made some modifications of the list to match up to the ourbrisbane.com site; so there are now a few missing pages. They have a pretty cool map there too. I also added an external link to the page. --Jonorossi 16:13, 17 November 2006 (UTC)
- also, I have started a discussion in the Wikiproject for brisbane about how each suburb should be formatted.Rimmeraj 23:29, 19 November 2006 (UTC)
I agree with Figaro. Mind you, I think that you could just delete it in favour of the category. Grace Note
- As no one has directly opposed the delete, and all suburbs have now been created, I plan to put this up for deletion by the end of the day. I will also archive this discussion onto the category page. Let me know asap if there is anyone who objects. Rimmeraj 00:51, 5 December 2006 (UTC)
I don't think this list ought to be deleted when there exist equivalents for other cities. Alternate ways of organising this list could include by postcode or by municipality. Perhaps wider discussion could be sought at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Australian places?--cj | talk 17:19, 5 December 2006 (UTC)
- municipality does not work in Brisbane, all suburbs are Brisbane City Council Suburbs. post code? what is the benefit in that? Just because other cities have this list does not make it relevant for Brisbane. It is confusing to have two lists, the category and 'List of Brisbane Suburbs', where they are identicle. Can you provide any better options for the list? Either this list needs to meet one of the WP:LIST requirements (which it does not at the moment) or it should be removed. Rimmeraj 22:24, 5 December 2006 (UTC)
- PS: if this change works well for Brisbane, then I was considering raising the topic in Australian Places to state that lists should not be required for suburbs, and categories can fulfill all the needs of the List using sub categories. (please lets not debate this point now). Rimmeraj 22:35, 5 December 2006 (UTC)
After reading the AFD page, I think we should redirect this page to the category page instead of deleting. Rimmeraj 03:19, 8 December 2006 (UTC)
- Cross name-space redirects are generally not done from articles.--cj | talk 10:29, 8 December 2006 (UTC)
- After reading various articles on the redirects between namespace, I get the impression this is to stop links between 'article' namespace and 'wiki project' namespace... i.e. articles that redirect to user pages or project pages. I don't think the category should follow this rule. Why not redirect the list to the category? It seems better then deleting the list completely. Rimmeraj 06:30, 11 December 2006 (UTC)