Talk:List of egg dishes
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
- fixed. Wikipedia article names (and therefore links to them) are case sensitive except for the very first letter. 220.127.116.11 13:12, 29 June 2006 (UTC)
The purpose being???????????
Mothperson 00:04, 11 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Oh, I found the list useful. I just think it should be a category. McKay 22:07, 21 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- I agree. There are thousands of egg dishes unaccounted for in the list, so I don't see a tremendous obligation for red-link placeholders, and a category would all but eliminate the current maintenance requirements.
- On a more general note, the culinary arts still have a comparatively desolate representation on Wikipedia, possibly because attentions and content are divided between Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Cookbook (whose authors often contextualize the dishes and components, so it's not just recipes). It's unclear to me what the dividing line between the two projects is or should be, but the current configuration seems imperfect.
- However, I think we can count on this for the near future: Wikipedia is high-profile, Wikimedia Cookbooks are not. People constantly add stubs for food dishes to Wikipedia, and will continue to do so. Meanwhile, Wikipedias in other languages don't necessarily have thriving Cookbook projects, and in some cultural contexts it might be anathema to segregate the subject of food from the central knowledge base—I can sympathize with such a view. The culinary arts are so central to culture and cultural identity; it's not just about incidental usage or recipes. It's not always easy to determine which topics are culturally-entrenched enough to warrant Wikipedia entries.
- Coming back to the case in point, I do believe this list should function as a category on Wikipedia since Wikipedia already has many robust egg dish articles. While gastronomics are central in every cultural context, in Western cuisine in particular egg dishes are quintessential and definitive: the pleats on a chef's toque symbolize the "100 ways" s/he can prepare an egg. The plethora of unique preparations from around the world which populate this list of egg dishes attest to the fact that the contemporary West isn't alone in its high regard and multifarious treatment of poultry eggs. If "Buffyverse" is a deserving category, how much more deserving are the key themes of humanity's gastronomic traditions? I think it's a fascinating cross-section. — Ringbang 16:04, 6 September 2005 (UTC)
I give up. Mothperson 19:16, 19 May 2005 (UTC)
Having now transformed this pseudo-list into a list, I must confess I still don't see the point. It was fun, but I'm not about to write five dozen food stubs to turn all that red into blue. And having already gotten into trouble for turning another list into clutter, I'm not going to add anything in the way of descriptions. So I leave this list to the tender care of others who may pass by and think of improvements. In this case, it was definitely the egg that came first. --Mothperson 13:05, 24 May 2005 (UTC)
"Plain egg dishes"
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on List of egg dishes. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20061109034552/http://ci.placerville.ca.us/our_city/about/history.asp to http://ci.placerville.ca.us/our_city/about/history.asp
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.