Talk:Marina del Rey, California
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
The City of Los Angeles page lists the marina as a division, yet the text of this article seems to be formatted as an independent division of the county of LA.
Well, the county seems to think they own it
If you visit Marina Del Rey, there are decorative signs at each entrance saying "Marina Del Rey, County of Los Angeles." Street maps that show city boundaries clearly show the marina as lying outside the City of Los Angeles boundary line. The Marina Del Rey public library is run by the County, not the City. The traffic lights and design of street signage are consistent with County standards, not City standards. The streets are also maintained to County standards, with Botts dots, which the City of L.A. rarely uses because it can't afford to maintain them.
I work here
Marina Del Rey is not part of the City of Los Angeles, but it is part of Los Angeles County. I have talked to both the Sheriff's Department, which patrols the Marina and it's parks, and The Highway Patrol, which performs traffic enforcement duties. M.D.R. is not part of the City of Los Angeles. It is considered an "unincorporated area."
As to the City of Los Angeles page listing the area as a division L.A. is often the "victim" of wishful thinking. That's my P.C. two cents worth on that subject.Wjbean 18:56, 2005 Jun 2 (UTC)
- I think that fact is well-reflected in the article. Isn't it? Thanks, -Willmcw 21:11, Jun 2, 2005 (UTC)
George Strait Song
It at least deserves a nod, doesn't it?
- Of course! The original poster had a question as to which government entity was correct. I was answering that question. Wjbean 16:29, 3 Jun 2005 (UTC)
Missing: History of Marina
I only know what I remember as the folk knowledge of the '60's, but it seems that prior to '64 it was a salt marsh, owned by Howard Hughes - whose airport (Hughes Aircraft plant & landing strip) it was connected to the west end of.
I don't know how & why Hughes developed it or how he talked the US Army Corps of Engineers to dredge it out and build the breakwater, but he did that and supposedly made a huge profit on the land sales afterwards.
The high-end development in the Marina was an irritant to the progressive, somewhat hippie culture in neighboring Venice in the sixties & seventies.
The one thing that the people in Venice benefited from in the Marina was the Boys market, at the time the best place to shop for groceries in the Venice area.
As a bicyclist I was irritated by having the Marina dredged out: before that you could bike down the path across the bridge at Ballona Creek, all the way down to San Pedro from Malibu. After the Marina was built you had to go around it.
Villa Marina Marketplace
Would the Vila Marina Marketplace, which is listed here, actually be considered to be in Marina Del Ray. It has Marina Del Ray's 90292 Zipcode, and therefore has a Marina address, but if you look on a map it is located within the city of Los Angeles, not LA County like Marina Del Ray.—Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 02:43, 5 February 2009 (UTC)
The Template:Geographic_location by wikipedia.org standard goes near the bottom of the article. The sample give for the Template:Geographic_location is Ottawa or Ottawa#External_links. Check it out! Please note the placement, it at the bottom under External links! Marina del Rey, California is the now a city with Template:Geographic_location in the middle of the article. Thus it will be moved to the External links placement, now.
ICANN has moved
- So Much missinformation where to Start, I can provid the documents, I got them fron the Library of congress, who posted them after I got a copy!:
- US Constitution,
- Artical 1 sec 8 Powers of Congress.
- Artical 1 Sec 8 Powers Prohibited of a State. "Tax on Tonnage can only be spent by the US Treasury.
- Artical 3 sec 3? Admiralty Law
- 1824 US Supreme Court Gibons v Ogden Cheif Justice Marshal, wrote the oppenion, Stating A State claiming Jurisdiction on a Navigable Body of Water Is repugnant to the US Constitution.
- 1954 Harbors and Rivers Act Congress Created the Playa Del Rey, Harbor, Inlet And Venice, & ordered USACE to build the harbor under the control of the Cheif engeener in charge. Not to exceed $7,?00,000 which the Federal Government was to pay half of. They forgot the Land ownership issue.
- Under Code of Federal Regulations(CFR) 36 sec. 327.0 It is an ongoing Waters works project, run by USACE CFR 36 sec 327.23 Payment of use fees is made to USACE. USACE manual for ongoing water works projects CFR 36 sec 327.0-31
- 1961 Senator Rosevelts Bill HR 157 which becamr Public Law 87-402, Ordering the International Harbor ?created by the US Congress in the 1954 Rivers and Harbors act be Known by the New Designation Marina Del Rey, and the address Marina Del Rel, Los Angeles California Be used fron that time forward.
- 1967-8 My history teacher Ar Paul Revere Jr High taught us Marina Del Rey Is Not Part Of the State of California because President W. Wilsons 14 point Plan requires all international harbors in the World to Be under the Jurisdiction of Their Federal Governments
Lana Del Rey
From looking at maps of Los Angeles County, it appears there's a small unincorporated area carved out of the city of LA, bounded by Grosvenor, Jefferson, Centinela, and the expressway. This appears on maps as unincorporated and I've seen references that list it as part of Marina Del Rey. Is that correct? Does anyone have any references as to how that tiny area inland wound up unincorporated? 184.108.40.206 (talk) 09:23, 29 October 2014 (UTC)