Wikipedia talk:WikiProject California
|WikiProject California||(Rated Project-class)|
|WikiProject California was featured in a WikiProject Report in the Signpost on 8 November 2010. If you wish to get involved with the Signpost, please visit the Newsroom.|
|Threads older than 90 days may be archived by.|
See also Discussion of the WikiProject California in Spanish.
- 1 Spring Valley, Butte County
- 2 Auto-assessment of article classes
- 3 Welcome to the Hall of Fame!
- 4 Notice to participants at this page about adminship
- 5 Naming discussion at Cal State Los Angeles Golden Eagles
- 6 List of fatal shark attacks in California
- 7 FAR
- 8 Please See - Submissions
- 9 Anyone in LA?
- 10 Announcing WikiConference North America in San Diego, Fri-Mon 7-10 October
Spring Valley, Butte County
According to an autobiography of Fred J. Dodge (listed in the references there), he was born in Spring Valley in northern Butte county in 1854. It is not listed as a location in Butte County, California, nor in Spring Valley, California, nor can I find it in contemporary maps. But there is a Spring Valley Elementary School, and a Spring Valley Reservoir in the area, and perhaps a Spring Valley Mountain. There were also companies with Spring Valley in their names from the gold rush days. So it probably was a name used in the 19th century, maybe just a mining camp. If anyone can figure out exactly what/where it was and what the area is now called, I think it should be mentioned as a former name. MB (talk) 16:32, 4 April 2016 (UTC)
The USGS GNIS Geographic Names Information System may be of help.Cite error: There are
<ref> tags on this page without content in them (see the help page). http://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=136:2:0::NO:RP::
- Not really. It showed that there is a school, reservoir, and a gulch in the area named Spring Valley, just as I found on maps. I'm looking for a little more historical context. I did find a newspaper article on the mining ghost town of Cherokee, California that says the local mines all consolidated into the Spring Valley Mine (Spring Valley Mining & Irrigation Co.) But the GNIS does not show Spring Valley as a variant name of Cherokee. MB (talk) 03:47, 28 June 2016 (UTC)
Auto-assessment of article classes
Following a recent discussion at WP:VPR, there is consensus for an opt-in bot task that automatically assesses the class of articles based on classes listed for other project templates on the same page. In other words, if WikiProject A has evaluated an article to be C-class and WikiProject B hasn't evaluated the article at all, such a bot task would automatically evaluate the article as C-class for WikiProject B.
If you think auto-assessment might benefit this project, consider discussing it with other members here. For more information or to request an auto-assessment run, please visit User:BU RoBOT/autoassess. This is a one-time message to alert projects with over 1,000 unassessed articles to this possibility. ~ RobTalk 22:22, 3 June 2016 (UTC)
Welcome to the Hall of Fame!
Notice to participants at this page about adminship
Many participants here create a lot of content, have to evaluate whether or not a subject is notable, decide if content complies with BLP policy, and much more. Well, these are just some of the considerations at Wikipedia:Requests for adminship.
So, please consider taking a look at and watchlisting this page:
You could be very helpful in evaluating potential candidates, and maybe even finding out if you would be a suitable RfA candidate.
Many thanks and best wishes,
Naming discussion at Cal State Los Angeles Golden Eagles
There is currently a discussion at the Talk:Cal State Los Angeles Golden Eagles article regarding the name. It is requested that members of this WikiProject comment for more opinions on what the actual name of the article should be. Thanks, 03:44, 11 July 2016 (UTC)
List of fatal shark attacks in California
I am wondering if someone from this WikiProject would mind taking a look at List of fatal shark attacks in California and assessing it. There seems to be a lot of detail provided about some of these attacks which might be taking things a bit too far, but I am not sure if that is common for these types of articles. Thanks in advance. -- Marchjuly (talk) 00:35, 21 July 2016 (UTC)
I have nominated Gwen Stefani for a featured article review here. Please join the discussion on whether this article meets featured article criteria. Articles are typically reviewed for two weeks. If substantial concerns are not addressed during the review period, the article will be moved to the Featured Article Removal Candidates list for a further period, where editors may declare "Keep" or "Delist" the article's featured status. The instructions for the review process are here. Snuggums (talk / edits) 18:57, 25 July 2016 (UTC)
Please See - Submissions
Anyone in LA?
Hey, I was wondering if there's anyone here that lives in LA that would be able to go take a picture of an art installation for me. I recently created an article for Liquid Shard and I think that the article would be much improved with an image. It's in Pershing Square and should be up until August 11, if anyone can make it up there. I live in Virginia, otherwise I'd totally go and take a picture. There are various pictures up on the Internet, but I'm not sure whether or not any of them would fall under fair use or not. It's a shame I live on the other side of the US - I'd love to see it in person since videos and pictures like this one make it seem like it'd be pretty neat. Tokyogirl79 (｡◕‿◕｡) 04:54, 9 August 2016 (UTC)
Announcing WikiConference North America in San Diego, Fri-Mon 7-10 October
I am not a regular participant to this WikiProject, so please excuse my intrusion. Still, I thought this would be of interest. Thanks RightCowLeftCoast for introducing this conference in a previous note here.
- We are accepting submissions until 31 August.
- We are accepting scholarship applications 9 August - 23 August. About 40 scholarships are available only for people in Canada, the US, and Mexico. Last year about 200 people applied for scholarships.
- More volunteers are needed. In the usual wiki-way, anyone may comment on program submissions. At the conference in person, all staff will be volunteer and all attendees are encouraged check in with conference organizers about volunteering for the task queue even for an hour. Anyone interested may contact to offer volunteer support.
- Major sponsorship for the conference comes from the San Diego Public Library who are providing the venue and a grant from the Wikimedia Foundation.
- This is the third year of this conference, with WikiConference USA being in New York in 2014 and in Washington DC in 2015. Check the schedules of those for examples of what kinds of programming will be offered this year.
Discussion about the conference on-wiki could happen at meta:WikiConference North America.
I am one of the organizers for this event. I thought that I should share this information here, as this conference includes the regional focus of this WikiProject. Thanks. Blue Rasberry (talk) 19:01, 10 August 2016 (UTC)