|WikiProject Australia / Perth / Western Australia||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
|WikiProject Hotels||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
On the corner of Milligan (formerly Melbourne)
I don't think that the hotel was ever on the corner of Melbourne St. According to the references I used for Milligan Street, Perth, Milligan St was always (as far back as 1838) that name at Hay St. Only the northern end (north of Wellington St) was originally Melbourne Rd.
The Heritage Assessment Documentation does not mention Melbourne St/Rd at all, but does say (in 13.1 Documentary Evidence, with my emphasis added):
Milligan Street in the early 1890s as the Rate Books record, was largely a residential street of mixed social strata - ...
Certainly around the time of construction of the Hotel, entries in the Milligan Street area expand ...
- Thank you for your question. Heritage Perth suggests the street was named Melbourne Street, until it was renamed Milligan Street. The Melbourne Hotel website suggests it was first called Melbourne Road, and later renamed Milligan Street. Both references could be wrong, as you explained the subtle difference on your Milligan Street, Perth page. It is possible that both the hotel and Perth Heritage jumped to conclusions.Zigzig20s (talk) 13:26, 18 May 2014 (UTC)
I found the below add
To BUILDEBS CONTRACTORS and
UNRESERVED AUCTION SALE
QUANTITY of SCAFFOLDING,
POLES, PLANKS, and ROPES Large. Lot Old TIMBER
WINDOW SASHES and FANLIGHTS Quantity of RIDGE CAPPING,
Etc , Etc , Etc.
AMSBERG, WILLIAMS and Co will Sell as
above, at the Tear of the Melbourne Hotel,
corner of-Hay-street and Melbourne-road
SALE TOMORROW (FRIDAY) AFTER.
AT 2.30 SHARP.
In the West Australian 13 May 1897 "Classified Advertising.". The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954). Perth, WA: National Library of Australia. 13 May 1897. p. 8. Retrieved 19 May 2014. its the 2nd last add bottom left hand corner of the page. This gives an indication it was cnr Melbourne road when it was built... but its so far the only one that refers to Melbourne road others use Hay Street West and/or Milligan for the area including police reports apparently everyone left via Hay street enterence and then turned into Milligan/fled down milligan, no one as yet fled into Melbourne road....hmmm Gnangarra 12:46, 19 May 2014 (UTC)
- this "GENERAL NEWS.". The Inquirer and Commercial News (Perth, WA : 1855 - 1901). Perth, WA: National Library of Australia. 9 April 1897. p. 9. Retrieved 19 May 2014. calls the top of Melbourne road at Murray street... Gnangarra 12:51, 19 May 2014 (UTC)
- according to this 1920's map Melbourne is the diagonal street whic crosses Wellinton and joins Milligan at Murray Gnangarra 12:56, 19 May 2014 (UTC)
This 1860 map by W. Phelps shows that the block on which the Melbourne Hotel was built extended from Hay Street through to Murray street along Milligan and that Melbourne Road intersected at the Milligan & Murray diagonally into the North eastern part of the intersection, see this current map for the current layout previously melbourne road started at Murray st passed along the western edge of the Entertainment Centre across the rail line to Russell Square, while Milligan continued directly north.... looking at the maps the Hotel was never "on" Melbourne Road but Melbourne terminate diagnolly opposite at the intersection of Milligan and Murray and the rememant sections of Melbourne road were renamed to Milligan but the conclusion that the street outside the hotel doors was ever called anything but Milligan isnt factual. Though the name could be derived from Melbourne rd Gnangarra 13:25, 19 May 2014 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Melbourne Hotel. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20120601202820/http://www.melbournehotel.com.au/attachments/The_Melbourne_Hotel_History.pdf to http://www.melbournehotel.com.au/attachments/The_Melbourne_Hotel_History.pdf
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.