Talk:Nellis Solar Power Plant

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Energy (Rated Start-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Energy, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Energy on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the project's importance scale.
WikiProject Nevada / Las Vegas (Rated Start-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject icon Nellis Solar Power Plant is within the scope of WikiProject Nevada, which aims to improve Wikipedia's coverage of the U.S. state of Nevada. If you would like to participate, visit the project page.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the project's importance scale.
Taskforce icon
This article is supported by WikiProject Las Vegas (marked as Low-importance).

Opening heading[edit]

This article needs to be re-written, it is almost word for word a cut and paste from the reference. (talk) 06:20, 29 November 2007 (UTC)

Here is another photo that can be uploaded.[1] The caption says: (U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Nadine Y. Barclay) (talk) 07:15, 29 November 2007 (UTC)

The article mentions a 20% capacity factor. First of all, the definition of capacity factor is wrong. secondly, there is not enough data in the article to calculate that, unlike what the text makes it sound like. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 20:32, 26 August 2009 (UTC)

Unanswered question?[edit]

Reading through the article, there seems to be some inconsistency in the financials. If the airforce saves 1 milion $/year with 6.8 cents /kwh savings, and the farm cost 100 million $ to build, how the heck is MMA Renewable Ventures ever going to make any money? They are IOW getting about 200-300 thousand $/year for the electricity the sell. --NeilenMarais (talk) 20:21, 8 February 2008 (UTC)

If you read between the lines they sold the renewable credits to Nevada Power for about $100 million - the cost of installation. The piddling 2.2 cents/kWh just pays their profit on the project (all of this is total guesswork). One report said that the Air Force was going to save $1 million in 2007 ("this year"), yet it went fully online only on December 17. By my calculation the Air Force will actually save (0.09-0.022) x 25 million kWh = $1.7 million each year, except that of course that $100 million came from Nevada Power, which will inevitably contribute to raising Nevada Power's rates from 9 cents to 10 cents/kWh or more, and since the Air Force only gets 30% of their electricity from the panels, they eventually lose more than they save as the cost of electricity goes up (the 30% from the sun is at a fixed price, the remaining 70% is not at a fixed price). No one knows what the eventual price of electricity will be. Without renewables it would skyrocket. With renewables it could actually decrease eventually. (talk) 19:41, 18 February 2008 (UTC)

Fallout: New Vegas depiction[edit]

Would it be appropriate to mention in the article that the solar array was recently depicted as a playable area in the video game Fallout: New Vegas?

External links modified[edit]

Hello fellow Wikipedians,

I have just added archive links to one external link on Nellis Solar Power Plant. Please take a moment to review my edit. If necessary, add {{cbignore}} after the link to keep me from modifying it. Alternatively, you can add {{nobots|deny=InternetArchiveBot}} to keep me off the page altogether. I made the following changes:

When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true to let others know.

Question? Archived sources still need to be checked

Cheers.—cyberbot IITalk to my owner:Online 09:08, 20 January 2016 (UTC)