Talk:Peter Watts (author)
|This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons (BLP) policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to . If you are a subject of this article, or acting on behalf of one, and you need help, please see this help page.|
|WikiProject Biography / Arts and Entertainment||(Rated Start-class)|
|WikiProject Science Fiction|
The Canadian one?
Pretty sure this isn't the same Peter Watts, actually. I think this is some guy who probably set this page up either as a joke, or to prove something.188.8.131.52 (talk) 15:18, 17 December 2008 (UTC)
- no joke. this is the article about the notable Canadian author. if some info here is about a different Peter Watts, please help pick it out. -- 184.108.40.206 (talk) 18:49, 11 December 2009 (UTC)
Should not there be some discussion on how his releasing the books online has affected their sales/popularity?Iva M 11:02, 14 June 2007 (UTC)
- Probably, yes. Feel like trawling back through his blogging and other public statements to find claims? --Gwern (contribs) 00:18 28 December 2009 (GMT)
That Watts was detained at the border is fact. That section of this entry has been edited for further neutrality in hopes that the article itself won't become part of the controversy.
It will need further work concerning references and such which I'm not doing at this time because of other time constraints. And, obviously, this secton of the entry is going to change as the matter proceeds.
- I don't think your concluding paragraph adds much, since it crosses the line a bit into Original Research (see WP:OR). I think cutting the section down to a couple of entirely factual lines is a better idea. --Pleasantville (talk) 12:53, 17 December 2009 (UTC)
So the Facebook group was removed by a bot: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/w/index.php?title=Peter_Watts&curid=1590886&diff=332671124&oldid=332671097 Since it apparently has been mentioned in news coverage, is it worth including? --Gwern (contribs) 01:13 28 December 2009 (GMT)
I agree that the section covers a mostly irrelevant incident. It is not as much a defematory BLP issue, as trivia, IMHO. --16:50, 18 December 2010 (UTC)
I will disagree that the report should be substantially trimmed from what it is as I write; I read about the problem elsewhere and checked his Wikipedia page to see if there were more information. The current (Feb 2011) version seems about right to me. Wyvern (talk) 16:09, 20 February 2011 (UTC)
- But we're writing an encyclopedia, not a series of book-length biographies. Exact dates, name of judge ... it's almost ten times as long as the rest of the text about his personal life. I'd say it's very typical of how Wikipedia can give undue weight to events that probably should be included, but be given a few sentences at most. This isn't what defines Peter Watts. /Julle (talk) 00:20, 24 November 2011 (UTC)
Awards in Poland
I was just reading his short bio in Years' Best SF #15 (p.181) and it mentions that Blindsight "has, however, won multipe awards in Poland for some reason". But the pl wiki entries on him and that book mention nothing about it winning any Polish awards. Would anybody have any idea what's going on? -- 16:48, 18 December 2010 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 3 external links on Peter Watts (author). Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20131112130510/http://upcoming4.me/news/book-news/peter-watts-beyond-the-rift-cover-art-and-synopsis-reveal to http://upcoming4.me/news/book-news/peter-watts-beyond-the-rift-cover-art-and-synopsis-reveal
- Added archive http://www.webcitation.org/5bIXNfgD8?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nippon2007.us%2Fhugo_press_release.html to http://www.nippon2007.us/hugo_press_release.html
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_interview/
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.