From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Geography (Rated Start-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Geography, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of geography on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the project's importance scale.

Is "thalweg" misspelled?[edit]

"Thalweg (an English word compounded from the German elements Thal — since Duden's orthography reform of 1901 written Tal — meaning valley, and Weg, meaning way) is a misspelled term adopted into English usage for geography and geomorphology."

Is grammatically equal to

"Thalweg ... is a misspelled term ..."

I presume that the English language stole it from the Germans prior to the spelling reform; that means that "thalweg" is no more a misspelling than any of the numerous English words we got from the French before they changed THEIR spelling. Moreover, even if it had been mangled on the way over, the mangled English spelling would STILL be correct -- as long as one was writing in English.

For instance, the English word "sergeant" (stolen from the French) didn't somehow become misspelled when the French decided later that they wanted to spell it "sergent" instead.

Feel free to disagree, but I think a dialog at this stage might benefit people wishing to edit on this point. If I am misinterpreting the insertion of "misspelled" I would also like to know. 01:40, 31 March 2007 (UTC)

We'd better check the usage in modern publications before the article is renamed, but the spelling Talweg reflects the correct pronounciation and thus makes more sense. --Schlosser67 (talk) 14:43, 30 May 2016 (UTC)

another meaning?[edit]

I linked this on Pemberton Pass because I've heard that pass described as a thalweg' but the definitions I see here don't quite fit with waht I thought it meant, i.e. as a physiographic "shape"; not thte line of a valley bottom, but a deep "valley-way" through the mountains; "a valley that is/forms a road/route", I think usually in terms of a sequence of two or more drainages (as is the case at Pemberton Pass); the Rocky Mountain Trench perhaps might qualify, but Eagle Pass definitely fits the same mold. Anyway I'm sorry I don't have a citation for this, I'm surprised it's not in OED, which is hteo nly link here; I'll keep my eyes open. I'll also dig up a representative picture or sample topo map for Pemberton Pass as maybe there's a beter term to describe the valley's shape/style/type....Skookum1 (talk) 03:37, 13 June 2008 (UTC)

Deleted pronounciation[edit]

The (correct) pronounciation is given in IPA nomenclature already, and with German as my mother tongue I have a hard time seeing how "Talweg is pronounced in German as talvay . Weg in German is pronounced vay" (inserted by an IP address from Connecticut) could be understood in any way to give the right information. Seattle Jörg (talk) 06:30, 12 May 2015 (UTC)