|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Article currently reads Thames Estuary has recently been proposed as the site of a brand new airport to replace Heathrow. The new airport would be built on a man-made island and building would begin within the next eight years. So far nothing has been confirmed. However, Heathrow#Future of Heathrow does not mention this, just expansion plans lasting up until 2008. Both articles appear to need updating. Andrewa 14:44, 2 August 2007 (UTC)
- and this must be the third such proposal over the years - Maplin Sands and Cliffe being the others. They should be mentioned?Peter Shearan (talk) 14:00, 28 January 2008 (UTC)
Carried out to make the point that the estuary is water, the coastline is something else; and also to show that places such as Tilbury and Gravesend (certainly not Dartford!) are not in the estuary itself. Peter Shearan (talk) 19:44, 28 January 2008 (UTC)
- I don't think I agree with your definition. Personally I've always thought of the estuary beginning between Tilbury and Gravesend, where it begins to widen rapidly. In the popular sense the term Estuary English surely embraces a much wider area, typified by (eg) Dagenham and Erith?
- Latest edit does not seem to make complete sense (eg "Shipping enters the Estuary for and Medway Ports") - can you read over it! Note also that Thamesport is not further up river than Chatham as implied (and aren't Chatham docks closed now anyway?) - it's at the mouth of the Medway where the Isle of Grain oil refinery used to be. Also mentions shipping heading for Shellhaven, Coryton, Tilbury, etc but not Dagenham, Erith, Silvertown (Tate & Lyle), Purfleet etc - could simplify to "the Medway Ports and Port of London". Pterre (talk) 18:14, 29 January 2008 (UTC)
Does anyone have anything on those wartime forts which are in the Estuary (or are they even further out) - also that wrecked ship full of high explosives? Regards Motmit (talk) 18:21, 30 January 2008 (UTC)
- There is an article called Maunsell Forts - could link to that from this article. Pterre (talk) 18:57, 30 January 2008 (UTC)
I think Canvey Island/Allhallows/Isle of Grain is pushing it to be honest. Surely the Estuary is not only where the river widens, but also when the bed of the river begins dropping rapidly thus becoming a sea? The eastern boundary of this is rougly from Shoeburyness in Essex south to the Western bank of the opening of The River Medway! Who on earth suggested that Tilbury, Dartford, Gravesend etc sit on the Estuary? They clearly sit on The River Thames. I would also argue that The River Medway opens onto The Thames and The Estuary begins shortly after this. 220.127.116.11 (talk) 22:37, 16 July 2013 (UTC)
- Not that I'm aware of! Except in e.g. "the mouth of the River Thames"... "Estuary" was changed to "Mouth" in this edit of 14:36, 22 January 2011 by a single-edit IP, 18.104.22.168 – and it's been there until this morning! I'm surprised that "Mouth" lasted this long, I only looked in because your topic heading attracted my curiosity: I would be minded to remove mention of "Thames Mouth". Apart from my own experience, a Google search finds virtually nothing, except an article by that online encyclopedia thingy... ;) Cheers. Nortonius (talk) 15:49, 7 August 2012 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Thames Estuary. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.countryside.gov.uk/LAR/Landscape/CC/SEL/greater_thames_estuary.asp
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.cruising.org.uk/almanac/Thames%20Estuary%20Passages.pdf
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.
The comment(s) below were originally left at several discussions in past years, these subpages are now deprecated. The comments may be irrelevant or outdated; if so, please feel free to remove this section., and are posted here for posterity. Following
|I have today removed this from stub-class: although there may well be more to say, I would dare to suggest that this article has some body in it! Peter Shearan (talk) 11:32, 29 January 2008 (UTC)|
Last edited at 11:32, 29 January 2008 (UTC). Substituted at 07:53, 30 April 2016 (UTC)