|ING Direct Canada
|Founded||1997 (as ING Bank of Canada)|
Number of employees
|Parent||ING Group (1997–2012)
|Subsidiaries||Tangerine Investment Funds|
Tangerine Bank, operating as Tangerine, is a Canadian direct bank and a subsidiary of Scotiabank. It offers savings accounts, Tax-Free Savings Accounts (TFSA), Guaranteed Investment Certificates (GIC) and Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSP), mutual funds, mortgages and a no-fee chequing account.
Founded by ING Group in 1997 as the Canadian operation of ING Direct, the bank was acquired by Scotiabank in 2012. The new name for the bank was revealed in November 2013, and was rolled out beginning in April 2014.
The predecessor of Tangerine, ING Bank of Canada (operating as ING Direct) was founded in April 1997 and operated as a telephone banking service offering savings accounts. It was the first test market for ING Group's direct banking business model, where the aim was to offer more favourable rates to customers by avoiding the costs of running a network of branches.
Operating without traditional bank branches, ING Direct Canada instead opened a small network of ING Direct Cafes, for its face-to-face contact points. The first café opened in Toronto in 1997, with a further three opening in Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary, as well a second Toronto location.
On November 19th, 2015, Tangerine was named one of Canada's 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures of 2015.
Acquisition by Scotiabank and name change
In November 2012 Scotiabank completed the acquisition of ING Direct Canada from ING Groep NV, the Netherlands-based parent company of ING Direct Canada in a CAD$3.1 billion deal first announced in August 2012.
As part of the terms of the deal the bank was required to change its name from ING Direct before May 2014.
On November 5, 2013 ING Direct Canada revealed that its name would be changed to Tangerine in early 2014. The bank stated that the name change was the culmination of a year-long consultation process involving more than 10,000 people in qualitative and quantitative research.
Tangerine continues to use the 'Forward Banking' tagline used by ING Direct Canada from 2012 onwards. Prior to 2012 ING Direct Canada had used the tagline 'Save Your Money'.
Products and services
Tangerine offers the same services that had been provided by ING Direct Canada, namely, savings accounts, a chequing account, mutual funds and mortgages.
In 2016 Tangerine began to offer a MasterCard cash back credit card.
Tangerine offers customers an iOS, Apple Watch, Android, Blackberry and Windows apps. The apps allows members to see account balances, transactions, make transfers, find ATM's and deposit cheques by taking a picture.
As a result of the Scotiabank acquisition, Scotiabank ATMs and those of other banks in the Global ATM Alliance became free for customers to use in June 2014. Tangerine then withdrew from The Exchange, its previous network of no-charge ATMs, as of September 28, 2014.
- Robert D. Klassen; Larry J. Menor (2006). Cases in Operations Management: Building Customer Value Through World-Class Operations. SAGE Publications. pp. 69–. ISBN 978-1-4129-1371-3.
- ING DIRECT Public Accountability Statement 2013 (PDF), ING Direct Canada, retrieved September 9, 2014
- "Homepage". ING. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- "Bank of Nova Scotia snares ING for $3.1-billion". Globe and Mail.
- "ING DIRECT to change its name to Tangerine". Newswire.
- "Our History". ING. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- "ING Direct scrambles to reinvent itself". Macleans.
- "ING DIRECT Cafés". ING. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- ING Group#ING Direct Canada
- "We have a new name!". ING. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- "Tangerine Named One of Canada's 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures". News Release. CNW Newswire. 19 November 2015. Retrieved November 2015. Check date values in:
- "Scotiabank Completes the Acquisition of ING DIRECT Canada". Scotiabank.
- "ING Direct renames itself Tangerine". Financial Post.
- "ING DIRECT introduces Canadians to forward banking". press release.
- "Tangerine". Tangerine.
- "Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card". Tangerine.
- "Mobile Banking". Tangerine.
- "ABMs". Tangerine Bank. Retrieved 2014-04-08.