|Named for||Karli River|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
||This article is written like a travel guide rather than an encyclopedic description of the subject. (November 2012)|
Tarkarli is a village in Malvan taluka in Sindhudurg district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. It is tourist destination and a coral beach. This village is famous for its Ramnavmi Utsav, Ramnavmi is celebrated every year in Mahapurush Temple of the village. Tarkarli has the state's only scuba diving training centre.
Tarkarli beach has a long coastline and clear waters. Located at the confluence of the Karli River and the Arabian Sea, This place has gained prominence because of its long and narrow stretch of beach with pristine waters and water sports. On a clear day, one can see the bed unto a depth of 20 ft. It presents a panoramic view with tall 'Shuru' trees in the background. The wide river, the sailboats and the tiny hamlets situated on the riverbank, add to the tourism of Tarkarli. Sighting dolphins is not a rare event here. This place fishes throughout the year, the sea during summer and winter and back-waters during the monsoon since the sea water enters this area and also due to safety reasons.
Tarkarli is 8 km south of Malvan and 546 km from Mumbai on the west coast of India, at the confluence of the Karli River and the Arabian Sea.
- By Air: Nearest airport is Chipi Airport (Proposed) 3 km & Dabolim Airport in Goa.
- By Rail: Following options exist:
- Sindhudurg, but all trains don't stop there and also connectivity by means of bus and rickshaw are not very good.
- Kudal on the Konkan Railway. This is around 1 hour 15 minutes by road from Malvan. Buses are available from and to Malvan after every 30 minutes. Frequency is slow in the evening. If you want to go to Tarkarli directly, taxis and rickshaws are available from kudal station east, 700rs for taxi after a bit of bargaining. (November rate 2012) Takes you directly to tarkali beach road where you can find accommodation by asking the cab driver to stop for couple of minutes.
- Kankavli on the Konkan Railway. This is around 1 hour 30 minutes by road from Malvan. Buses are available from and to Malvan after every 30 minutes. Frequency is slow in the evening.
- By Road: Tarkarli is easily accessible from Malvan by bus (5 km; 9 rupees, March '14) and rickshaw. Tarkarli is 475 km (Panvel Kochi Road, NH 17) and 576 km (Mumbai Kohlapur Road NH 4) away from Mumbai. Daily private, luxury and State Transport bus service available from various parts of Goa, Mumbai, Pune to Malvan.
- Buses from/to Panaji: direct buses run from bus bay #2 at the KTC bus stand in Panaji to Malvan, take 4.5 hours and cost 125 rupees. However, Malvan lies off the national highway (NH-17) so direct buses are infrequent (they also take a longer route). The faster option is to break the journey in parts - Panaji to Sawantwadi (56 rupees; 1.5 hours), Sawantwadi to Kudal (the closest town to Malvan on NH-17; 19 rupees, 0.5 hours), and Kudal to Malvan (30 rupees, 1 hour 15 minutes) - the total time is thus reduced to 3 hour 15 minutes. When returning from Malvan, remember that buses are infrequent (at least one leaves at 2 pm to Kudal) so take whatever you get to Kudal and take connecting buses back to Panaji as described above(all prices Mar '14). Don't worry too much about the names of the bus stations if it is too much, ask the bus conductor where you need to break the journeys.
MTDC Resort is a known place to stay in Tarkarli. Tourists can also opt for the Govt. approved Home Stays in the village (sample rates 1400/- for a double bed). There are Many other Private Resorts & houses in village which avails rooms on rent,but do not book your hotel online as while booking over there you may also get discounts. Most places are not right on the beach (though MTDC is probably), so bring a mat and hat/mini head-umbrella if sunbathing and reading is your idea, otherwise you can only stand on the beach or get into the waters. Being a small place with not many expected visitors, each meal has to be ordered beforehand with the in-house kitchen or a nearby eatery and costs 150-200 rupees (veg/non-veg) (all prices Mar '14).
- Mahapurush Temple
- Khalcha Mahapurush Temple
- Vitthal Temple
- Boating Point & Water Sports point in Karli river
- Tarkarli Beach
- Sangam, the point where the Karli river drains into the Arabian sea. Good place to see. The town itself is called Devbag and is the end of the land. Hourly buses charge 6 rupees for the ~6 km amazing, lush, tiny road journey from Tarkarli (same bus goes and comes back). Various water rides (banana, dolphin, jet ski etc.) and parasailing are offered here. Negotiate to get a good offer (for example, a 5-minute ride across to so-called Tsunami island is offered for 300 rupees which is but a 50 rupee ride) (all prices Mar '14)
- Nivti Beach
- Golden Rock
- Sindhudurg Fort at Malvan
- Malvan Market
- Rock Garden at Malwan
- malvan plateau
- Kunkeshwar Temple - 46 km from Tarkarli by MSH 4. A Shiva temple on the beach.
if you are keen interest in adventure sports u can try out scuba diving in tarkarli malvan try out www.tarkarliscubadiving.com. we teach padi and ssi courses in india
Snorkeling (to see corals and fishes), Scuba diving, Boating, white water rafting, water rides are held at Tarkali. Boats can be hired for dolphin seeing, golden rocks, tsunami island (for water sports) and snorkelling. Beaches can be dangerous as currents are strong on shore and locals recommend not to wander in more than waist high. Boat owners will stop the boat in deep water to allow a swim where the currents are less strong.
Scuba diving training centre
India's first integrated, biggest scuba diving center is located in Tarkarli.The Indian Institute of Scuba Diving and Aquatic Sports (IISDA), in Tarkarli, Sindhudurg, is accredited to PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) as a PADI Dive Resort. IISDA is integrated facility of scuba diving school and resort. It has dedicated 25 ft deep pool dedicated for Scuba diving training, underwater research and commercial shooting.
- Scuba Diving in Malvan
- Tarkarli Travel Information
- Akhil Tarkarli Gramvikas Mandal's official Website
- Scuba Diving in Tarkarli
- Videos & Pics of Scuba Diving at Tarkarli
- More on Tarkarli at KonkanOnline
- More on family homestay in Tarkarli
- More on family hotels in Tarkarli
- GoTarkarli.com for planning your Tarkarli trip