Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center
|Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center|
המרכז הרפואי תל אביב ע"ש סוראסקי
|Location||Tel Aviv, Israel|
|Affiliated university||Tel Aviv University|
Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center (Hebrew: המרכז הרפואי תל אביב ע"ש סוראסקי; commonly referred to as Ichilov Hospital) is the main hospital complex serving Tel Aviv, Israel and its metropolitan area and the second-largest hospital complex in the country. The complex is spread out over an area of 150,000 m2 and incorporates four hospitals: Ichilov General Hospital and Ida Sourasky Rehabilitation Center, Lis Maternity Hospital, and Dana Children's Hospital. The director of the Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center is Prof. Ronni Gamzu.
The hospital was originally named after the Ichilov family. Ichilov Hospital was founded in 1963 as a one-building facility designed by architect Arieh Sharon. Renamed Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, it now encompasses three hospitals over an area of 150,000 square meters: Ichilov General Hospital and Ida Sourasky Rehabilitation Center, Lis Maternity Hospital, and Dana Children's Hospital. The center also serves as an instructional and research center affiliated with Tel Aviv University's Sackler Medical School and Sheinborn Nursing School.
In 2011, a 700–1,000 bed bombproof emergency facility was opened. The building, with 13 stories above ground and four stories underground, provides protection against conventional, chemical and biological attack. Construction began in 2008. The cost of the building was $110 million, with a donation of $45 million from Israeli billionaire Sammy Ofer. The architect was Arad Sharon, grandson of Arieh Sharon who designed the original facility.
In 2022, the world's largest emergency room was opened at Ichilov Hospital. The 8,000 square meter facility is equipped with facilities for self-triage and robots to guide people around.
- "Table 10: Listed Hospitalization Beds by Institution and Department – General Hospitalization Institutions". מיטות אשפוז ועמדות ברישוי [Hospitalization Beds and Licensing Counters] (PDF) (Report) (in Hebrew). Israel Ministry of Health. January 2020. p. 24. Retrieved November 9, 2020.
- Ayala Hurwicz (2007-05-07). "Sheba - Largest Hospital in Israel" (in Hebrew). Retrieved 2007-09-14.
- "Hospital Website". Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- "Ronni Gamzu - Ichilov". Retrieved 2020-05-24.
- Even, Dan (2011-03-10). "Tel Aviv hospital unveils largest bombproof medical facility in Israel". Haaretz.com. Retrieved 2015-05-01.
- Even, Dan (2011-03-10). "Interview with Ichilov head Gabriel Barbash". Haaretz.com. Retrieved 2015-05-01.
- World’s largest ER opens in Israel, raising bar for tech and scale in emergency med