The Beatles Movie Medley
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"The Beatles' Movie Medley"|
|Single by the Beatles|
|B-side||""Fab Four On Film" (early copies)
"I'm Happy Just to Dance With You""
|Released||24 March 1982 (US)
24 May 1982 (UK)
|Recorded||Abbey Road Studios|
Parlophone R 6055
|Producer(s)||George Martin, Phil Spector|
|The Beatles singles chronology|
"The Beatles' Movie Medley" is a compilation of snippets from various Beatles songs. It remains the only Beatles single not released on CD. The single peaked at #12 on the Billboard Hot 100, and #10 on the British charts in 1982. The songs were chosen from the Beatles' films, A Hard Day's Night, Help!, Magical Mystery Tour, Yellow Submarine and Let It Be.
The songs included in the medley are "Magical Mystery Tour", "All You Need Is Love", "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away", "I Should Have Known Better", "A Hard Day's Night", "Ticket to Ride" and "Get Back". The medley was the first of two singles charting in the 1980s credited to the group (the other being a recharting of "Twist And Shout" in 1986).
Capitol Records first issued the single in conjunction with the album Reel Music and was inspired by the success of the "Stars On 45 Medley", a recording which included numerous Beatles songs sung by a John Lennon soundalike. The song was released in the US as Capitol B-5107.
Parlophone Records initially refused to issue the single in the United Kingdom, regarding the medley as "tacky". But after the import demand for the US release grew, it was finally issued as Parlophone R 6055. The original flip side was an interview with The Beatles about the making of the movie A Hard Day's Night. It was later re-released with "I'm Happy Just to Dance with You" on the flip side.
- Kent, David (2005). Australian Chart Book (1940–1969). Turramurra: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-44439-5.
- "Ultratop.be – The Beatles – The Beatles Movie Medley" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 16 May 2016.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Beatles Movie Medley". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 16 May 2016.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – The Beatles – The Beatles Movie Medley" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 16 May 2016.
- "Archive Chart: 1982-07-03" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved 16 May 2016.
- "The Beatles – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for The Beatles. Retrieved 16 May 2016.
- Hoffmann, Frank (1983). The Cash Box Singles Charts, 1950-1981. Metuchen, NJ & London: The Scarecrow Press, Inc. pp. 32–34.
- Whitburn, Joel (1999). Pop Annual. Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin: Record Research Inc. ISBN 0-89820-142-X.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-10-26. Retrieved 2015-07-08.