The Carpenter (Nightwish song)
This article possibly contains original research. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Single by Nightwish|
|from the album Angels Fall First|
|Released||1 November 1997|
|Nightwish singles chronology|
The Carpenter is the first single by Finnish symphonic metal band Nightwish, the only from their debut album, Angels Fall First. It featured, apart from Tarja Turunen's voice, also Tuomas Holopainen' voice, making it the only single with his vocals.
The eponymous "carpenter" referred to in the lyrics is Jesus of Nazareth, who is said to have "carved his anchor on the dying souls of mankind". The tomb of the unknown soldier refers to the centurion Saint Longinus who acknowledged the dying Jesus as the Son of God and converted to Christianity before dying a martyr's death at the hands of Tiberius. The song seems to be sung from the perspective of Saint Veronica, Mary Magdalene, or the Virgin Mary as she "lay on the grass and observed her saviour" in his final moments.
|2.||"Red Light In My Eyes, Part II"||Children of Bodom||3:50|
|3.||"Only Dust Moves..."||Thy Serpent||7:09|
- Tarja Turunen - Vocals
- Tuomas Holopainen - Keyboards, Piano, Vocals (on track 1)
- Emppu Vuorinen - Guitars, Acoustic guitars, Bass guitar
- Jukka Nevalainen - Drums
The music video features vocalist Tarja Turunen in a red dress on a field while a carpenter (implied to be Leonardo da Vinci) designs a flying machine at his workshop. There are many references to the crucifixion including candles, an underground workshop representing the tomb and the sign of the cross. When the man fastens on the glider, he spreads out his arms in a similar way to the crucified Christ.
The video was filmed in Helsinki, Finland and in Henningsvær, Norway during spring 1998. There were shot scenes of the rest of the band playing (including Tuomas Holopainen singing, Emppu Vuorinen on acoustic and electric guitars, and Jukka Nevalainen on drums), but the director, Sami Käyhkö, and Holopainen did not like it, so they only included Turunen.
- The carpenter: Vilho Olavi Laine
- The cat: Ms Maila
- "First Single Out". Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- [Mark 15:39]
- Luke 23:27-32
- "Nightwish.com official biography". Retrieved January 27, 2008.
- "finnishcharts.com - Nightwish - The Carpenter". Retrieved 25 February 2009.
- Nightwish (2015-03-26). The Carpenter. YouTube. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- Käyhkö, Sami (Director) (1998). From Wishes to Eternity (DVD). Helsinki (Finland), Henningsvaer (Norway): Spinefarm records.