This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|The Horse Hospital|
|Address||Colonnade, Bloomsbury, London WC1N 1JD|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|Design and construction|
The Horse Hospital is a Grade II listed not for profit, independent arts venue in central London, England, with a curatorial focus on counter-cultural histories, sub-cultures and outsider as well as emerging artists delivered through frequent events, underground film and artist’s moving image screenings, and exhibitions. Founded in 1992 by Roger K. Burton, the venue opened with Vive Le Punk! a retrospective of Vivienne Westwood's punk designs in 1993.
Initially programmed by Burton and Ian White, the venue's reputation grew both in London and abroad. James B. L. Hollands later replaced White as curator. The artist, Tai Shani has been the programmer since 2006.
In 1998, the Horse Hospital hosted the debut British exhibition by outsider artist / painter Joe Coleman which attracted a new audience. Subsequently the venue played host to a variety of performers, musicians, artists, film makers and writers, including Dame Darcy, Anita Pallenberg, Iain Aitch, Jack Sargeant, Valie Export, Chris Carter, David Tibet, Helen Chadwick, Dennis Cooper, Morton Bartlett, Lydia Lunch, Bruce Bickford, Gee Vaucher and Crass, Alejandro Jodorowsky, Stewart Home, Jeremy Reed and others.
It has also been used by various record labels, publishing houses including Soft Skull Press, Verso, Serpent’s Tail and Clear Cut Press. and journals such as Strange Attractor and Granta for special events, as well as a screening space for numerous film festivals including the Fashion in Film Festival, and London International Animation Festival amongst others.
Built originally by James Burton in 1797 as stabling for cab drivers' sick horses, the Horse Hospital is notable for its unique stone tiled floor. Access to both floors is by concrete moulded ramps, the upper floor ramp retains hardwood slats preventing the horses from slipping. It can be found at Colonnade, Bloomsbury, London.
In 2015 The Horse Hospital was listed with London Borough of Camden as a Community Asset and the site was selected for inclusion in the British Library’s UK Web Archive as a website of cultural importance.
The Horse Hospital also houses and is supported by the ‘Contemporary Wardrobe Collection’, a fashion archive that specialises in post-war street fashion, sub-cultures and British design.
- 1993 Vive Le Punk!, Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren
- 1998 Original Sin, Joe Coleman
- 1998 Remote Control, Laurie Lipton
- 1998 Meet, Brian Griffin
- 1999 Car, Photographs by Peter Anderson
- 2000 Oh Lover Boy, Franko B
- 2000 The Situation At This Address Has Changed, Sculpture, Drawing, Painting Harry Forbes
- 2000 Transromantik, Cathy Ward and Eric Wright
- 2001 Two Es And A Viagra, Peter Rigby
- 2001 Beat 13!, Lucy McLauchlan, Tim Watkins, Al Murphy
- 2001 Gee Vaucher
- 2001 Hospital Brut, The Toxic art of Le Dernier Cri
- 2002 David Tibet and Steven Stapleton
- 2003 The Bogside Artists
- 2003 Unquiet Voices, English and American Visionary Art 1903 - 2003
- 2004 Heralding the Apocalypse, Barry Hale
- 2005 The 45th Annual Convention of the Middleman and the Cherry Brigade - Tai Shani
- 2006 Some Bizzare Exhibition, Stevo Pearce 
- 2007 Visual Athletics Club, Edward Barber
- 2007 The Other Side of the Island David J Smith
- 2008 Miron Zownir - Radical Eye
- 2008 Sandow Birk - Dante's Inferno
- 2008 Sacred Pastures - Cathy Ward, Eric Wright and Norbert Kox
- 2008 Instead of wives, they shall have toads, Stephen Fowler
- 2008 30,000 Years of Cryptomnesia
- 2008 From Fear to Sanity - CND and the Art of Protest from 1958–1963
- 2009 The Impossible World of Stu Mead
- 2010 HOLOGRAPHY for Beginners, Ole Hagen
- 2010 Drag and Cinema, Cinema in Drag – Brice Dellsperger
- 2010 Ian Johnstone - The 23 Stab Wounds Of Julius Caesar
- 2010 Fake Food & Fast Cars: The Pop Couture of Kate Forbes
- 2011 Adrian Di Duca: Monstrorum Historia
- 2011 Edweard Muybridge: Muybridge’s Revolver
- 2011 Ronny Long - My Life on Earth 1991-2002
- 2011 Every beautiful thing… The Michael Ho Chong Collection
- 2012 The Playgrounds of War - Gina Glover
- 2012 LFP: The Queen, The Chairman And I – Kurt Tong
- 2012 The Butcher Of Common Sense
- 2012 Bunti’s Picture Show – Ian Ward
- 2012 Camouflage, Revolution, and Desire – drawing from movies
- 2013 Morton Bartlett
- 2013 Jacques Katmor & The 3rd Eye Group
- 2013 BASHA: the unsung hero of Polish poster art
- 2013 The Hobo Kings and Queens of Leanne Castillo
- 2014 A Goodly Company: Ethel Le Rossignol
- 2014 Walerian Borowczyk – Posters and Lithography
- 2014 The Opium Den: Jennifer Binnie
- 2014 Nick Abrahams – Lions & Tigers & Bears
- 2014 Alien Puma Space Train: The Visionary Work Of Daniel S. Christiansen
- 2014 Saturation 70
- 2014 Stephen Holman
- 2014 Stephen Dwoskin - Ha! Ha!
- 2015 The School Of The Damned Degree Show 2015
- 2015 Melinda Gebbie: What Is The Female Gaze?
- 2015 George Tobias: My Little Kingdom
- 2016 The Detroit Artists Workshop
- 2016 Punk in Translation: Burst City
- 2016 Plastique Fantastique: After London
- 2016 Welcome, Space Brothers: The Unarius Academy Of Science
- 2016 Destroy All Monsters
- Historic England. "The Horse Hospital (1271476)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- "THE HORSE HOSPITAL". English Heritage. Retrieved 15 December 2015.
- "The Contemporary Wardrobe by Roger Burton". Bryonesque. 10 May 2012. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "Stevo: Bizzare after all these years "[permanent dead link]Independent Online Edition, accessed 22 December 2007