|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Known for||performance art, body art, painting, sculpture, video|
|Notable work||I Miss You (performance)|
Franko B (born in Milan in 1960) is an Italian performance artist based in London. He studied fine art at Camberwell College of Arts (1986–7), Chelsea College of Art (1987–90) and the Byam Shaw School of Art (1990–91). His work was originally based on the bloody and ritualised violation of his own body. Later on he embraced a wide variety of media including video, photography, painting, installation, and sculpture.
He performed at the ICA, London in 1996 and 2008, the South London Gallery in 1999 and 2004, the Centre of Attention in 2000, Tate Modern in 2002, the Ikon Gallery, Birmingham in 2005, Arnolfini, Bristol in 2007, The Bluecoat Centre, Liverpool in 2008, CENDEAC, Murcia, Spain in 2007 and The Crawford Municipal Gallery in Cork, Ireland in 2005. He has exhibited work internationally in Zagreb, Mexico City, Milan, Amsterdam, Antwerp, Copenhagen, Madrid, Vienna, Brussels and Siena.
Since 2009 he teaches sculpture at the Accademia di Belle Arti di Macerata in Italy, and has lectured extensively at a number of art schools, including Saint Martin's School of Art; New York University; the Ruskin School of Fine Art, Oxford; Chelsea College of Art, London; Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art, Dundee; DasArts, Amsterdam; Goldsmiths' College of Art, London; Zurich University of the Arts; and the Courtauld Institute of Art.
His work is the subject of four monographs: Franko B (Black Dog Publishing, London, 1998), Oh Lover Boy, (Black Dog Publishing, London, 2000), Blinded by Love (Damiani Editore, Bologna, 2006) and I Still Love (Motta/Il Sole 24 Ore, Milan, 2010).
- Goldberg, RoseLee: Performance: Live Art Since 1960, Thames & Hudson, 1998
- Vergine, Lea Body Art and Performance: The Body as Language, Skira, Milan, 2000
- Jones, Amelia, The Artist's Body, Phaidon Press, London, 2000
- Mahon, Alyce, Eroticism and Art, Oxford University Press, 2007
- Doyle, Jennifer, Hold It Against Me: Difficulty and Emotion in Contemporary Art, Duke University Press, Durham, 2013
- Franko Class: programma di scultura 2011/2012. Franko B. Accessed July 2014.
- Franko B Official website
- Campbell, P 'The Body in performance' Vol 10 (2004) London: Routledge