Kyle Gass Band
|Kyle Gass Band|
Left to right: Jason Keene, Tim Spier, Kyle Gass, John Konesky, Mike Bray.
|Also known as||KGB|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, USA|
|Labels||Space Horse Records (North America), SPV GmbH (Europe)|
|Associated acts||Tenacious D, Trainwreck|
|Past members||Nate Rothacker
Kyle Gass Band (KGB) is an American rock band from Los Angeles, California. Formed in 2011 by Tenacious D acoustic guitarist and vocalist Kyle Gass, the band is fronted by vocalist and guitarist Mike Bray and also features electric guitarist John Konesky (also of Tenacious D), bassist Jason Keene, and drummer Tim Spier. They are signed to SPV GmbH. They released their first album, the self-titled "Kyle Gass Band" in 2013 and their second, "Thundering Herd" in September 2016.
Formation and beginnings (2011–2013)
The Kyle Gass Band was formed in January 2011, when Gass was asked to open for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell. Gass and Konesky were both of Tenacious D and former members of Trainwreck, Gass's former band which broke up in early 2011. Mike Bray was selected by Gass to front the band, after Bray's group 'Band of Bigfoot' played as a support act for Trainwreck concerts. Bassist Jason Keene was picked for the group as Gass re-connected an old friendship with him.  The drumming position in the band was originally filled by Trainwreck's Nate Rothacker, it was then given to Jamie Douglass in 2013 and then given to Tim Spier in mid-2014.
The band recorded their first material throughout 2011 and some recordings in 2012, with the debut self-titled album releasing in July 2013 for North America and in April 2015 for Europe. The band are releasing their second album, "Thundering Herd" in September 2016.
The KGB played their first gig at the 2011 NAMM Show opening for Mike Campbell in early January. They played their first independent show at DiPiazza's in Los Angeles on the 18th June 2011. In August 2014, the Kyle Gass Band played their first international show at Tolhuistuin in Amsterdam and then played the European festivals Pukkelpop, Rock’n’Heim, Frequency Festival and Open Air Gampel. In October 2014, the KGB performed at Tenacious D's annual Festival Supreme on the main stage. It was announced that in support of the 2015 European re-release of their album, the band would have a three legged Europe tour in April/May, August and October.
- Kyle Gass Band - Kyle Gass Band (2013)
- Kyle Gass Band - Thundering Herd (2016)
- Kyle Gass Band - Manchild / Bro Ho (2013)
- Kyle Gass Band - Our Job to Rock (2015)
- Mike Bray – lead vocals, guitar
- Kyle Gass – lead acoustic guitar, vocals, flute
- John Konesky – lead electric guitar, backing vocals
- Jason Keene – bass, harmonica
- Tim Spier - drums
Live Music Archive albums
These releases are a series of live albums released with the explicit permission of the Kyle Gass Band. These live shows have been recorded and released through Live Music Archive and are available for free digital download.
|May 1, 2015||Camden Underworld||Camden, United Kingdom||600||European Invasion Tour|
- "The Kyle Gass Band". The Kyle Gass Band. Retrieved August 20, 2011.
- "Kyle Gass". Biography. The Kyle Gass Band. Retrieved August 20, 2011. Note: User must manually select 'Kyle Gass'.
- "Mike Bray". Biography. The Kyle Gass Band. Retrieved August 20, 2011. Note: User must manually select 'Mike Bray'.
- "Just finished...". The Kyle Gass Band. Facebook. December 17, 2011. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- "Internet Archive Search creator Tenacious D". Internet Archive. Retrieved 2008-03-20.