The Masked Singer (German TV series)
|The Masked Singer|
|Based on||King of Mask Singer|
by Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation
|Presented by||Matthias Opdenhövel|
|Opening theme||"Who Are You" by The Who|
|Country of origin||Germany|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||13|
|Production location(s)||MMC Studios, Cologne|
|Running time||approx. 180 to 200 minutes per episode|
|Production company(s)||EndemolShine Germany|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital 5.1|
|First shown in||South Korea|
|Original release||June 27, 2019 –|
|Related shows||Masked Singer franchise|
King of Mask Singer
The Masked Singer (US)
The Masked Singer is a German reality singing competition television series adapted from the South Korean format King of Mask Singer. It premiered on ProSieben on June 27, 2019, and is hosted by Matthias Opdenhövel. The show features celebrities singing in head-to-toe costumes and face masks which conceal their identities from other contestants, panelists, and the audience.
On April 24, 2020, ProSieben announced the third season, which began airing on October 20, 2020. Also the fourth season announced, which will begin airing on 2021.
In each live episode, celebrities such as singers, actors or athletes compete against each other in a singing competition anonymously in costumes. The voices of the celebrities are distorted beyond recognition outside of singing.
In the first season, viewers vote by Televoting after each Duel or Truel, since the second season only via the ProSieben-app. The winners may keep the mask on and participate in the next episode. With repeated or without repeated singing, the losers have to wait for the final vote of the respective show. The singer with the fewest votes has to take off his mask and leave the show. The others continue to participate.
In addition to the singing competition, hints to each masked singer's identity are offered during the show. Pre-taped interviews are given as hints and feature celebrities' distorted voices. The panelists are given time to speculate the identity of the singer after the performance and ask them a single question to try to determine their identity.
The opening theme is "Who Are You" by The Who. After a decision, a section of the song "High Hopes" by Panic! at the Disco was heard in season 1, in season 2 was heard "Tonight" by Kesha, in season 3 was "Higher" by Bishop Briggs.
Panelists and host
Since the first season, host of the show is Matthias Opdenhövel. In the first two seasons, the permanent panel has consisted of TV presenter Ruth Moschner. In the first season, the other two panelists were actor Collien Ulmen-Fernandes and singer Max Giesinger. In the second season, was singer Rea Garvey, replacing Ulmen-Fernandes and Giesinger. In the third season the panelist will include comedian Bülent Ceylan and TV presenter Sonja Zietlow. In the fourth season, Moschner and Garvey will return in the panel.
There were also in every live episode guest panelists that appear as the fourth (season 1) or third (since season 2) panelist on the series—occasionally for multiple episodes. In the first season, they were Rea Garvey (episode 1), Elton (episode 2), Faisal Kawusi (episode 3), Samu Haber (episode 4), Sasha Schmitz (episode 5) and Adel Tawil (episode 6). In the second season, they were Carolin Kebekus (episode 1), Elton (episode 2), Luke Mockridge (episode 3), Bülent Ceylan (episode 4), Conchita Wurst (episode 5) and Max Mutzke (episode 6). In the third season, the guest panelist included Dieter Hallervorden (episode 1), Ruth Moschner (episode 2).
|Collien Ulmen-Fernandes||Main||Does not appear|
|Max Giesinger||Main||Does not appear|
|Rea Garvey||Guest||Main||Does not appear|
|Elton||Guest||Does not appear|
|Faisal Kawusi||Guest||Does not appear|
|Samu Haber||Guest||Does not appear|
|Sasha Schmitz||Guest||Does not appear|
|Adel Tawil||Guest||Does not appear|
|Carolin Kebekus||Does not appear||Guest||Does not appear|
|Luke Mockridge||Does not appear||Guest||Does not appear|
|Bülent Ceylan||Does not appear||Guest||Main|
|Conchita Wurst||Does not appear||Guest||Does not appear|
|Max Mutzke||Does not appear||Guest||Does not appear|
|Sonja Zietlow||Does not appear||Main|
|Dieter Hallervorden||Does not appear||Guest|
|Season||Celebrities||Episodes||Originally aired||Winner||Runner-up||Third place||Fourth place|
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||10||6||June 27, 2019||August 1, 2019||Max Mutzke|
|2||6||March 10, 2020||April 28, 2020||Tom Beck|
|3||6||October 20, 2020||November 24, 2020||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|1||6||June 27, 2019||2.19||August 1, 2019||4.34||3.15|
|2||6||March 10, 2020||3.32||April 28, 2020||5.34||4.15|
|3||6||October 20, 2020||3.33||November 24, 2020||TBA||TBA|
Awards and nominations
|2020||Deutscher Fernsehpreis||Best Entertainment Show||The Masked Singer||Won|||
|Best Director Entertainment||Mark Achterberg||Nominated|
|Best Framing Entertainment||Alexandra Brandner (Costume Design)||Won|
- "PROSIEBEN SICHERT SICH DEN SHOW-HIT "THE MASKED SINGER"".
- "THE MASKED SINGER AB DEM 27. JUNI 2019".
- ""THE MASKED SINGER": IM HERBST 2020 STARTET STAFFEL 3".
- "Neu. Die Zuschauer entscheiden bei "The Masked Singer" nur via App".
- ""THE MASKED SINGER" – DAS INTERVIEW MIT DER KOSTÜMBILDNERIN".
- "MATTHIAS OPDENHÖVEL MODERIERT DIE NEUE PROSIEBEN-SHOW "THE MASKED SINGER"".
- ""THE MASKED SINGER": DAS RATETEAM STEHT FEST!".
- "RUTH MOSCHNER UND REA GARVEY RÄTSELN MIT DEN ZUSCHAUERN BEI "THE MASKED SINGER"".
- ""THE MASKED SINGER" 2020 HERBST STAFFEL 3: DAS SIND DIE NEUEN MITGLIEDER IM RATETEAM".
- "Über 50% bei der Enthüllung: «The Masked Singer» beschert ProSieben historische Rekorde".
- ""Masked Singer" bricht Senderrekord, ORF 1 am Boden".
- "Mega-Start: «The Masked Singer»-Quoten schießen durch die Decke". June 28, 2019. Retrieved June 28, 2019.
- "Primetime-Check: Donnerstag, 1. August 2019". August 2, 2019. Retrieved August 2, 2019.
- "Quotencheck: «The Masked Singer»". August 2, 2019. Retrieved August 2, 2019.
- "Quoten: „The Masked Singer" macht „Höhle der Löwen" und „WWM" platt". March 11, 2020. Retrieved March 11, 2020.
- "Tom Beck macht «The Masked Singer» zur stärksten ProSieben-Show seit 2007; Reichweiten steigen in unbekannte Höhen". April 29, 2020. Retrieved April 29, 2020.
- "Quotencheck: «The Masked Singer»". April 29, 2020. Retrieved April 29, 2020.
- "Stärkster Staffelauftakt für «The Masked Singer»". October 21, 2020. Retrieved October 21, 2020.
- "Deutscher Fernsehpreis 2020 für „The Masked Singer", „Der Pass" und „Das Sommerhaus der Stars"".