The Pervert's Guide to Ideology
|The Pervert's Guide to Ideology|
|Directed by||Sophie Fiennes|
|Written by||Slavoj Žižek|
|Produced by||Sophie Fiennes|
|Edited by||Ethel Shepherd|
|Music by||Magnus Fiennes|
|Distributed by||P Guide Productions|
The Pervert's Guide to Ideology is a 2012 British documentary film directed by Sophie Fiennes and written and presented by Slovenian philosopher and psychoanalytic theorist Slavoj Žižek. It is a sequel to Fiennes's 2006 documentary The Pervert's Guide to Cinema. Though the film follows the frameworks of its predecessor, this time the emphasis is on ideology itself. Through psychoanalysis Žižek explores "the mechanisms that shape what we believe and how we behave". Among the films that are explored are Full Metal Jacket and Taxi Driver. The film was released in the United States by Zeitgeist Films in November 2013.
Žižek appears transplanted into the scenes of various movies, exploring and exposing how they reinforce prevailing ideologies. As the ideologies undergirding cinematic fantasies are revealed, striking associations emerge: from nuns advising following your desires at The Sound of Music to the political dimensions of Jaws. Taxi Driver, Zabriskie Point, The Searchers, The Dark Knight, John Carpenter's They Live ("one of the forgotten masterpieces of the Hollywood Left"), Titanic, Kinder Surprise eggs, verité news footage, the emptiness of Beethoven's "Ode to Joy", and propaganda epics from Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia all inform Žižek's psychoanalytic-cinematic argument.
List of films discussed in this documentary
- Triumph of the Will (1935)
- The Eternal Jew (1940)
- Brief Encounter (1945)
- The Fall of Berlin (1950)
- The Searchers (1956)
- West Side Story (1961)
- The Sound of Music (1965)
- Loves of a Blonde (1965)
- Seconds (1966)
- The Firemen's Ball (1967)
- Oratorio for Prague (1968)
- If.... (1969)
- MASH (1970)
- Zabriskie Point (1970)
- A Clockwork Orange (1971)
- Cabaret (1972)
- Jaws (1975)
- Taxi Driver (1976)
- Brazil (1985)
- Full Metal Jacket (1987)
- The Last Temptation of Christ (1988)
- They Live (1988)
- Titanic (1997)
- I Am Legend (2007)
- The Dark Knight (2008)
- Coca-Cola (commercial)
- 2012: Toronto International Film Festival, Official Selection
This section's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (January 2022)
"Though its ideas are indeed heady and high-flown, they are presented in a way that's consistently engaging and accessible. And the bearded, bulky, Slovenia-born Žižek comes across as a born raconteur and explainer, the kind of professor whose courses are deservedly his department's most popular. You don't have to share his materialist philosophy to find his analyses of culture and movies witty, insightful and usefully thought-provoking." —Godfrey Cheshire, RogerEbert.com
"What remains? You will get a lot of answers to questions you never knew you had." —Anne-Katrin Titze, Eye for Film
"Intellectual rock star Slavoj Žižek dishes out another action-packed lesson in film history and Marxist dialectics with The Pervert’s Guide to Ideology, a riveting and often hilarious demonstration of the Slovenian philosopher's uncanny ability to turn movies inside out and accepted notions on their head." —Jordan Mintzer, The Hollywood Reporter
"Žižek's romp through pop culture feels like a strange dream, with a mad professor re-enacting our favourite movie moments through the eyes of a therapist. The Pervert’s Guide to Ideology is invigorating, zany, completely memorable and often hilarious. Žižek goes from praising Coca-Cola to analyzing what the shark attacks really mean in Jaws." —Matthew Hays, Rover Arts Review
- The Pervert's Guide to Cinema
- The Reality of the Virtual
- Liebe Dein Symptom wie Dich selbst!
- Examined Life
- Marx Reloaded
- The Sublime Object of Ideology
- "THE PERVERT'S GUIDE TO IDEOLOGY (15)". British Board of Film Classification. 19 June 2013. Archived from the original on 5 October 2013. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- "The Pervert's Guide to Ideology: Toronto Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Pervert's Guide to Cinema's Fiennes and Žižek Reteam for Pervert's Guide to Ideology". indiewire.com. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- Leigh, Danny (16 October 2011). "Slavoj Žižek: Blofeld rides again". The Guardian. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Perverts Uprising! Zeitgeist Films Will Distribute Two New Documentaries". IndieWire. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Cheshire, Godfrey. "The Pervert's Guide to Ideology".
- Titze, Anne-Katrin. "The Pervert's Guide to Ideology".
- Mintzer, Jordan. "The Pervert's Guide to Ideology: Toronto Review".
- Hays, Matthew. "Deconstructing Hollywood".
- The Pervert's Guide to Ideology at Rotten Tomatoes
- Official page
- The Pervert's Guide to Ideology at IMDb
- The Pervert's Guide to Ideology: How Ideology Seduces Us - and How We Can (Try to) Escape It reviewed at Truth-out.org, 28 November 2012.
- Official US Website