|This article does not cite any references or sources. (October 2013)|
|Directed by||Sidney Miller
Charles A. Nichols
|Voices of||Joe E. Baker
|Theme music composer||Hoyt Curtin|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||16|
|Executive producer(s)||William Hanna
|Producer(s)||Terry Morse, Jr.|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Original release||September 10, 1977– January 28, 1978|
The Skatebirds lasted a half-season in its original run from September 10, 1977 to January 28, 1978. In the fall of 1979, the show was cut down to a half-hour by removing The Robonic Stooges and Woofer & Wimper, Dog Detectives (which had been spun off into a separate half-hour) and broadcast on CBS Sunday mornings on and off until January 1981. In the late 1980s, a different shortened version of The Skatebirds (now featuring The Robonic Stooges and Wonder Wheels) was shown on USA Cartoon Express and later resurfaced on Cartoon Network and Boomerang.
The show featured four short segments hosted by live-action wraparounds featuring "The Skatebirds", three large birds played by actors in costumes. The appearance of the characters and the format of the show was similar to Hanna-Barbera's The Banana Splits. Unlike its similar predecessor and most Saturday morning children's shows produced in the 1970s, The Skatebirds did not contain a laugh track.
- The Robonic Stooges - A cartoon featuring bionic versions of The Three Stooges who are superheroes that fight crime.
- Wonder Wheels - A cartoon about a teenage boy and his living shape-shifting motorcycle Wonder Wheels.
- Woofer & Wimper, Dog Detectives - An edited version of Clue Club episodes featuring two talking dogs, Woofer & Wimper, who help solve mysteries with four teenage detectives.
- Mystery Island - A live-action adventure serial about the crew of a downed plane and their robot P.O.P.S. trying to escape the wrath of Dr. Strange.
- Joe E. Baker - Larry Fine
- Wally Burr -
- Henry Corden -
- Scatman Crothers - Scat-Cat
- Susan Davis - Dooley
- Micky Dolenz - Willie Sheerer
- Ron Feinberg -
- Joan Gerber -
- Virginia Gregg -
- Bob Hastings - D.D.
- Bob Holt - Satchel
- Jane James -
- Ralph James -
- David Jolliffe - Larry
- Casey Kasem -
- Jim MacGeorge - Wimper
- Ross Martin - Agent 000
- Julie McWhirter -
- Allan Melvin -
- Don Messick - Scooter
- Marvin Miller -
- Alan Oppenheimer -
- Vic Perrin -
- Robert Ridgely -
- Ken Sansom -
- Ronnie Schell -
- Hal Smith -
- John Stephenson - Sheriff Bagley
- Patricia Stitch - Pepper
- Tara Talboy - Dotty
- Janet Waldo -
- Lennie Weinrib - Knock-Knock
- Frank Welker - Curly Howard, Narrator, P.O.P.S.
- Paul Winchell - Moe Howard, Woofer
- The Skatebirds information
- Mystery Island information
- The Skatebirds @ The Big Cartoon DataBase
- The Skatebirds at the Internet Movie Database