The Social (Canadian TV series)
|Starring||Melissa Grelo (2013- Present) |
Lainey Lui (2013- Present)
Cynthia Loyst (2013- Present)
Traci Melchor (2013-2017)
Marci Ien (2017- Present)
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||1000 (as of March 9, 2018[update])|
|Production location(s)||Toronto, Ontario|
|Original release||September 2, 2013 – present|
The Social is a Canadian daytime television talk show, which airs weekday afternoons on CTV and CTV Two. Using a panel format similar to American talk shows such as The View or The Talk, the show is hosted by Melissa Grelo (the show's moderator), Lainey Lui, Cynthia Loyst and Marci Ien.
The show premiered in 2013, originally hosted by Grelo, Lui, Loyst and Traci Melchor.
Grelo took a maternity leave from the program in spring 2014. A series of celebrity guest hosts appeared during her absence, including Jann Arden, Marilyn Denis, Wendy Crewson, Elisha Cuthbert, Arlene Dickinson, Arielle Kebbel, Emily Procter, Sarah Rafferty and Debbie Travis.
Melchor took a leave of absence from the show in 2016, with Ien stepping in as a substitute host following the cancellation of Canada AM. Melchor later revealed that she took the leave of absence for mental health reasons, after bursting into uncontrollable tears while preparing for an interview with Lynn Keane, an author who had published a book about her son's suicide, leading Melchor to realize that she had not fully processed her grief over the 2015 death of her friend Chris Hyndman.
Melchor announced in March 2017 that she would not be returning to the program full-time, instead concentrating on her duties with eTalk, although she will occasionally still appear on the show as a substitute host when one of the regulars is away. Ien became a permanent cohost of the program.
The series began airing in syndication in the United States through PPI Releasing and Sony Pictures Television via selective markets since September 2015, although a few stations had started airing the show during a test run prior to the push to expand it in more American television markets. It had been targeted for a soft 2014 US launch but was held back in order to give the show enough time to find its footing.
- John Doyle, "Will daytime TV finally stop making my skin crawl?". The Globe and Mail, September 9, 2013.
- "'The Social': Canadian Talk Show Isn't 'The View'". Huffington Post, September 1, 2013.
- "THE SOCIAL Reveals Upcoming Guest Co-Hosts, as Melissa Grelo Takes Time to Deliver Her Biggest Story Yet". Yahoo! Finance, March 6, 2014.
- "Traci opens up about why Bell Let's Talk Day is close to her heart". eTalk, January 25, 2017.
- "Former 'Canada AM' host Marci Ien new co-host of 'The Social'". Toronto Sun, March 29, 2017.
- NAPTE 2015: Fall 2015 Syndication From Sitcoms Online (January 22, 2015)
- "PPI GETTING "SOCIAL" IN DAYTIME." from PPI (October 16, 2013)