Thelonious Alone in San Francisco
|Thelonious Alone in San Francisco|
|Live album by|
|Recorded||October 21 and 22, 1959 at Fugazi Hall, San Francisco, CA|
|Thelonious Monk chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
|Encyclopedia of Popular Music|||
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings|||
Thelonious Alone in San Francisco is jazz pianist Thelonious Monk's third solo album, recorded in 1959. (Piano Solo, aka Solo 1954, recorded in Paris, and Thelonious Himself (1957), were Monk's previous forays into this form.)
It was recorded in Fugazi Hall, San Francisco, California, on October 21 and 22, 1959, but without an audience present.
"Bluehawk" and "Round Lights" were improvised blues which appeared only in these recorded versions. The other Monk compositions had appeared in prior recordings.
All songs by Thelonious Monk unless otherwise noted
- "Blue Monk" - 3:44
- "Ruby, My Dear" - 3:56
- "Round Lights" - 3:34
- "Everything Happens to Me" (Adair, Dennis) - 5:37
- "You Took the Words Right Out of My Heart" (Rainger, Robin) - 4:01
- "Bluehawk" - 3:37
- "Pannonica" - 3:51
- "Remember" (Irving Berlin) - 2:41
- "There's Danger in Your Eyes, Cherie" (Meskill, Richman, Wendling) - 4:18
- "Reflections"- 5:06
- Thelonious Monk – piano
Reice Hamel (Recording Engineer)
- Planer, Lindsay. Thelonious Alone in San Francisco at AllMusic
- Swenson, J., ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. pp. 145. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Larkin, Colin (2007). Encyclopedia of Popular Music (4th ed.). Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0195313734.
- Cook, Richard; Morton, Brian (2008). The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (9th ed.). Penguin. p. 1025. ISBN 978-0-141-03401-0. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Thelonious Monk: Making The Piano Hum". NPR.org.
- Yanow, Scott (May 11, 2000). Bebop. Hal Leonard Corporation. ISBN 9780879306083 – via Google Books.
- Thelonious Alone in San Francisco at AllMusic