Thermus thermophilus is a Gram negative eubacterium used in a range of biotechnological applications, including as a model organism for genetic manipulation, structural genomics, and systems biology. The bacterium is extremely thermophilic, with an optimal growth temperature of about 65 °C (149 °F). Thermus thermophilus was originally isolated from a thermal vent within a hot spring in Izu, Japan by Tairo Oshima and Kazutomo Imahori. The organism has also been found to be important in the degradation of organic materials in the thermogenic phase of composting. T. thermophilus is classified into several strains, of which HB8 and HB27 are the most commonly used in laboratory environments. Genome analyses of these strains were independently completed in 2004.
Biotechnological applications of T. thermophilus enzymes
- rTth DNA polymerase is a recombinant thermostable DNA polymerase derived from Thermus thermophilus, with optimal activity at 70-80 °C, used in some PCR applications. The enzyme possesses efficient reverse transcriptase activity in the presence of manganese.
- Oshima & Imahori, K. (1974). "Description of Thermus thermophilus (Yoshida and Oshima) comb. nov., a nonsporulating thermophilic bacterium from Japanese thermal spa". Int J Syst Bacteriol. 24: 102–112. doi:10.1099/00207713-24-1-102.
- Beffa, T; Blanc, M; Lyon, PF; Vogt, G; Marchiani, M; Fischer, JL; et al. (1996). "Isolation of Thermus strains from hot composts (60ºC-80ºC)". Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 62 (5): 1723–1727. PMC . PMID 8633870.
- Henne A; et al. (May 2004). "The genome sequence of the extreme thermophile Thermus thermophilus". Nat Biotechnol. 22 (5): 547–53. doi:10.1038/nbt956. PMID 15064768.
- Thermus thermophilus HB27 genome page.
- Thermus thermophilus HB8 genome page.
- Structural-biological whole cell project of Thermus thermophilus HB8.
- Isolation of Thermus strains from hot composts (60ºC-80ºC)
- Whole Cell Project of Thermus thermophilus HB8: Database
- Type strain of Thermus thermophilus at BacDive - the Bacterial Diversity Metadatabase