Timothy Baillie (left) & Etienne Stott at the 2012 Summer Olympics
|Men's canoe slalom|
|Representing Great Britain|
|2009 La Seu d'Urgell||C-2 team|
|2011 Bratislava||C-2 team|
|2012 Augsburg||C-2 team|
|2009 Nottingham||C-2 team|
|2010 Bratislava||C-2 team|
Timothy Mark Baillie MBE (born 11 May 1979 in Aberdeen) is a Scottish slalom canoeist who represents Britain. From Westhill in Aberdeenshire, he has competed since the mid-1990s initially in the K-1 category, but later on switching to C-2. He is the Olympic Champion in the C-2 event from the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.
Baillie and his partner Etienne Stott won two bronze medals in the C-2 team event at the ICF Canoe Slalom World Championships (2009, 2011). They also won a bronze medal in the C-2 event at the 2009 European Championships at the Holme Pierrepont National Watersports Centre, Nottingham, England and came in fourth place at the 2009 ICF Canoe Slalom World Championships in La Seu d'Urgell. They won another silver and a bronze in the C-2 team event at the European Championships alongside the other UK boats of David Florence/Richard Hounslow and Daniel Goddard/Colin Radmore. In 2012 they were a part of the British team that won gold at the European Championships in Augsburg in the C-2 team event. They are British Premier Division Champions and British Open Champions.
At the 2012 Summer Olympics, Baillie and partner Etienne Stott qualified through the heats for the C-2 event on 30 July, and subsequently progressed to the semi-final. The semi-final consisted of one run each, with the six best competitors qualifying for the final. Baillie and Stott finished in sixth place, taking the final spot and consequently qualifying for the final. As a result of their sixth-place finish, the slowest qualifying time out of the six remaining competitors, Baillie and Stott ran first in the final, securing a time of 106.41. The time was not beaten, with Baillie and Stott winning the gold medal in front of a 12,000 strong home crowd at the Lee Valley White Water Centre on 2 August. Fellow British boat of David Florence and Richard Hounslow finished second with a time of 106.77. Baillie and Stott's success was described as "unexpected" and a "surprise", with the pair describing winning gold as "mad".
- 2012 Summer Olympics, London - Gold Medal Men's C2
- 2011 Australian Open - Penrith Whitewater Stadium - Silver Medal Men's C2
- 2010 World Championships - Tacen - 17th place
- 2010 European Championships - Bratislava - 4th place Men's C2 & Bronze Medal Men's Team C2
- 2010 World Cup: Event 1 Prague 9th; Event 2 La Seu d'Urgell Parc Olímpic del Segre 6th, Event 3 Augsburg Eiskanal 3rd
- 2009 World Championships - La Seu d’Urgell Parc Olímpic del Segre - 4th place Men's C2, Bronze Medal Men's Team C2
- 2009 European Championships - Nottingham Holme Pierrepont National Watersports Centre Bronze Medal, Men's C2, Silver Medal Men's Team C2
- 2009 World Cup: Overall 4th; Event 1 Pau 7th; Event 2 Bratislava 5th; Augsburg 5th
- "Golden success for Olympic Scots". BBC News. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Baillie and Stott well placed". Orange Sport. 30 July 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Stott stars as canoe duo race into Olympic semis". Bedford Today. 31 July 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Slalom canoeists take gold and silver". Team GB. 2 August 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Olympics: Gold and silver for Great Britain in canoe slalom". BBC Sport. 2 August 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Team GB clinch gold and silver in the Olympic canoe C2 slalom to thrill partisan crowd". Daily Telegraph. 2 August 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Stott and Baillie head GB one-two". ESPN Star. 3 August 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Stott and Baillie's unexpected gold celebrated on stamp". ITV News. 3 August 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Two golds in five minutes: British take victory in canoeing pairs, men's shooting and men's cycling - to send Team GB soaring up the medal table". Daily Mail. 2 August 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Gold stuns GB canoe slalom duo Tim Baillie and Etienne Stott". BBC Sport. 2 August 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "A golden summer". Alumni Online. The University of Nottingham. 13 August 2012. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "No. 60367". The London Gazette (Supplement). 29 December 2012. p. 24.
- "2013 New Year's Honours" (PDF). Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "Baillie, Stott win Olympic men's canoe slalom". Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- 12 September 2009 final results for the men's C-2 team slalom event for the 2009 ICF Canoe Slalom World Championships.[permanent dead link] - Retrieved 12 September 2009.
- Sports-Reference.com profile
- Overview of athlete's results at canoeslalom.net
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Timothy Baillie.|