|Studio album by Titãs|
|Released||10 July 1993|
|Genre||Punk rock, grunge, hardcore punk, alternative rock|
Titanomaquia (Titanomachia) is the seventh album released by Brazilian rock band Titãs, released in 10 July 1993. All songs are credited to the band as a whole (sometimes crediting the just-departed Arnaldo Antunes as well), as it happened in the previous album, Tudo ao Mesmo Tempo Agora. Also, it marks the first time Jack Endino worked with them, the only foreign one as of May 2015.
A section of "Disneylândia" was used as part of a question of the 2013 ENEM de 2013, specifically "Pilhas americanas alimentam eletrodomésticos ingleses na Nova Guiné / Gasolina árabe alimenta automóveis americanos na África do Sul. / (...) / Crianças iraquianas fugidas da guerra / Não obtém visto no consulado americano do Egito / Para entrarem na Disneylândia" (American batteries feed English home appliances in New Guinea / Arab gas feeds American cars in South Africa / (...) / War-fleeing Iraqi children / Do not obtain visa at the American consulate in Egypt / To enter Disneyland") for the examinees to analyze consuming and production relations in the world. The track was erroneously credited to Arnaldo Antunes only, but it had actually been written by him and the whole band.
Background and production
The album was conceived in times when part of the Brazilian press considered rock from that country - as it was done in the 80s - to be over. The initiative to have the album produced by Jack Endino came from the band itself, more precisely from drummer Charles Gavin. Through their label WEA, they sent him their Õ Blésq Blom album. Endino was initially confused as to why a band with such a sound was willing to have him produce their album, but once the band sent him newer songs, he became interested. :
|“||It became clear that they really wanted to make rock 'n' roll with strong guitars, and the closest they have ever gotten to such idea, so far, was with Cabeça Dinossauro. I went to Brazil and started to realize exactly what they were planning to do, and the album leaned towards more of a "hard rock" side. [...] I know that it divided Titãs fans, but many of them, ten years later, still want Titãs to record another "hard rock" album such as that one. I'm sure, because I receive many e-mails from fans.||”|
He also listened to Cabeça Dinossauro and Tudo Ao Mesmo Tempo Agora before starting his works. By the time of the album release, he claimed to find it "very interesting that they were willing to do the reverse of what was normally done - which is to go from more radical rock to pop".
About Antunes absence, Endino commented that the mood among the band wasn't tense and that the group, still a seven-piece band, was not upset about the member's exit, although they still showed much care for him.
The fist title considered for the album was A Volta dos Mortos-Vivos ("The Return of the Living Dead"), but the band couldn't afford the rights for this name, which was already used for a 1985 film.
The band recorded English vocals for almost every track from the album for a possible international release.
All tracks written by Titãs, except "Disneilândia", "Hereditário" and "De Olhos Fechados", co-written by Arnaldo Antunes.
|1.||"Será Que É Isso Que Eu Necessito?" (Is This Really What I Need?)||Sergio Britto||2:49|
|2.||"Nem Sempre Se Pode Ser Deus" (It's Not Always Possible to Be God)||Branco Mello||2:15|
|3.||"Disneylândia" (Disneyland)||Paulo Miklos||2:46|
|4.||"Hereditário" (Hereditary)||Nando Reis||2:05|
|5.||"Estados Alterados da Mente" (Altered States of Mind)||Mello||3:42|
|7.||"De Olhos Fechados" (With Eyes Closed)||Miklos||2:11|
|8.||"Fazer o Quê?" (What to Do?)||Britto||3:27|
|9.||"A Verdadeira Mary Poppins" (The Real Mary Poppins)||Miklos||2:22|
|10.||"Feliz São os Peixes" (Happy Are the Fish)||Mello||2:13|
|11.||"Tempo Pra Gastar" (Time to Spend)||Britto||3:45|
|12.||"Dissertação do Papa Sobre o Crime Seguida de Orgia" (The Pope's Dissertation About Crime Followed by an Orgy)||Mello||3:07|
- Paulo Miklos - vocals, Synthesizer and Sampler (vocals on "Taxidermia", "A Verdadeira Mary Poppins", "Disneylândia" and "De olhos fechados")
- Sérgio Britto - Vocals, Mini-moog and Organ (vocals on "Agonizando", "Fazer o quê?", "Tempo pra gastar" and "Será que é Isso que eu necessito?")
- Branco Mello - Vocals (vocals on "Dissertação do Papa Sobre O Crime Seguida de Orgia", "Felizes são os peixes", "Nem sempre se pode ser Deus" and "Estados Alterados da Mente")
- Nando Reis - Bass and vocals (vocals in "Hereditário")
- Charles Gavin - drums and percussion
- Tony Bellotto - Lead Guitar and Rhythm Guitar
- Marcelo Fromer - Rhythm & Lead Guitar
- Jack Endino - Guitar (final chords in "Agonizando"), rhythm guitar and feedback in "Disneylândia"
- Gonçalves, Marcos Augusto (7 July 1993). "Titãs deixam o mundo dos mortos-vivos". Folha de S.Paulo. Grupo Folha. Retrieved 27 march 2017. Check date values in:
- Titanomaquia at AllMusic
- Lima, Thaís (26 October 2013). "Prova do 1º dia do Enem tem música dos Titãs, índios e direito dos gays". G1. Grupo Globo. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- Sarkis, Thiago Pinto Corrêa (4 January 2004). "Jack Endino - Entrevista exclusiva com o produtor do Nirvana". Whiplash.net. Retrieved 12 March 2015.