Tommy Bond (baseball)
|Born: April 2, 1856|
|Died: January 24, 1941 (aged 84)|
|May 5, 1874, for the Brooklyn Atlantics|
|Last MLB appearance|
|August 11, 1884, for the Indianapolis Hoosiers|
|Earned run average||2.31|
|Career highlights and awards|
Thomas Henry Bond (April 2, 1856 – January 24, 1941) was a Major League Baseball player who was a pitcher and a right fielder a total of ten seasons. A native of Granard, Ireland, he is the first man born in Ireland to play Major League Baseball. Bond was also the last survivor of the National League's first season (1876). Bond played for six teams during his career: the Brooklyn Atlantics (1874), Hartford Dark Blues (1875–76), Boston Red Caps (1877–81), Worcester Ruby Legs (1882), Boston Reds (1884), and Indianapolis Hoosiers (1884). He also managed the Worcester team for six games.
During his 10-season career, he was a three-time 40-game winner, played for two National League pennant-winning clubs, and regularly finished in the top ten in many pitching categories. In 1877, he was the first winner of baseball's pitching Triple Crown, leading the NL in wins (40), earned run average (2.11), and strikeouts (170). His career statistics include a record of 234-163, 386 complete games in 408 starts, 42 shutouts, and an ERA of 2.31. Bond also played 92 games in the outfield, a few more in the infield, and batted .238 with 174 RBI and 213 runs scored. Bond currently holds the third-best strikeouts per walks rate in baseball history, at a 5.0363 ratio, for pitchers who threw a minimum 1000 innings. Bond previously held the record for over 130 years, and as of 2018 still holds the record for retired pitchers. 
In the Irish Baseball League, the annual award for the best pitcher is named "The 'Tommy Bond' Best Pitcher Award."
- List of Major League Baseball career wins leaders
- Major League Baseball Triple Crown
- List of Major League Baseball annual ERA leaders
- List of Major League Baseball annual strikeout leaders
- List of Major League Baseball annual wins leaders
- List of players from Ireland in Major League Baseball
- List of Major League Baseball player-managers
- Baseball awards#Ireland
- "Career Leaders & Records for Strikeouts / Base On Balls". Baseball Reference. Retrieved 2017-10-09.
- "Tommy Bond's career statistics". Retrosheet, Inc. Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Tommy Bond at Find a Grave
First Triple Crown Winner
| National League Pitching Triple Crown