04 September 1963|
|Occupation||Brand and Content Director of Wallpaper* Magazine|
Tony Chambers (born 4 September 1963 in Liverpool, England) is Brand and Content Director of Wallpaper* Magazine, the global authority on design and lifestyle. It has been said that "he is one of the most influential arbiters of taste in the design world".
Chambers joined Wallpaper* as Creative Director in January 2003, and was appointed Editor-in-Chief in March 2007. He is the longest serving editor of the magazine and in September 2017 he was promoted to Brand and Content Director with the remit to identify new opportunities for the Wallpaper* brand which include developing new product propositions, new technologies and new growth in international territories.
Under his stewardship, Wallpaper* magazine has been transformed into a global brand. He introduced a series of over 100 pocket City Guides, a website and iPad edition, an in-house creative agency, an interior design service, and the online WallpaperSTORE*. He is also the creator of Wallpaper*Handmade, an annual exhibition at Salone del Mobile which brings together the designers, craftsmen and manufacturers to collaborate on one-of-a-kind pieces. One of his latest projects is to co-chair the development of Brainstorm Design to be held in Singapore in March 2018.
The BSME Mark Boxer Award
In November 2015 Tony Chambers received the BSME's Mark Boxer Award for outstanding lifelong services to the magazine industry. It is an award that has also been won in recent years by Ian Hislop, Richard Ingrams and Nicholas Coleridge.
Judging, talks and consultancy
Chambers is a member of the University of the Arts London Conferments Committee. He also serves on the judging committee of the London Design Festival Design Medal, and the judging panels of the Rijksmuseum's Rijksstudio Award, and the Perrier-Jouët Arts Salon Prize. He talks and lectures globally on design, communication, marketing and branding. Most recently at Art Basel/Miami, Marka 2017 in Istanbul, Expo Revestir in São Paulo, China Central Academy of Fine Arts and the V&A in London.
- "Inside the high-concept home of Wallpaper's chief tastemaker", The Daily Telegraph, London, 31 October 2015.
- "Wallpaper selects editor-in-chief", The Guardian, London, 2 March 2007.
- "Wallpaper editor celebrates 200 issues of design and style",New York Post, USA, 14 October 2015.
- "Sarah Douglas promoted from creative director to editor of Wallpaper*, Tony Chambers to brand and content director", Talking New Media, London, 12 September 2017.
- "I absolutely love Wallpaper* City Guides", To Be Shelved, USA, 2 January 2013.
- "Wallpaper magazine launches e-store"' The Daily Telegraph, London, 27 June 2015
- "Milan 2014: Wallpaper* Handmade", Design Milk, USA, 15 April 2014
- "Singapore designs to be given global push with Time partnership"' Today Online, Singapore, 7 March 2017
- "Vogue and Frith shine at awards", The Guardian, London, 10 May 2001.
- "Winners of BSME awards announced at ceremony in London", The Drum, London, 9 November 2011.
- "Best in show: Editor-in-Chief Tony Chambers wins BSME Mark Boxer Award", Wallpaper*, London, 20 November 2015
- "Mark Boxer Award", British Society of Magazine Editors, London, November 2014.
- "Governor Committees", University of the Arts, London, 10 January 2016.
- "2016 Judges", The London Design Festival, London, 2016
- "2017 International Rijksstudio Award", Rijksmuseum Amsterdam, 15 January 2017.
- Perrier-Jouet Arts Salon Welcomes The New Salon Members", Perrier-Jouet", London,
- "Space as Social Catalyst", Design Miami Miami USA, 30 November 2016
- "Marka 2016", Marka, Istanbul, 14 April 2016
- "Interior Design Trends", Expo Revestir, Brazil, 7 March 2017
- "Today's Design - Tomorrow's Reality", V&A, London, 19 October 2016