Torpedo (G.I. Joe)
|G.I. Joe character|
|Voiced by||Michael Yama (Sunbow/Marvel)
Phil Hayes (DiC)
|Specialty||SEAL (Sea, Air and Land)|
|File name||Leialoha, Edward W.|
|Birth place||Aiea, Hawaii|
|Rank||WO4 (Chief Warrant Officer Four, USN)|
|Primary MOS||Navy SEAL|
His real name is Edward W. Leialoha, and his rank is that of navy warrant officer WO-4. Torpedo was born in Aiea, Hawaii. His primary military specialty is Navy SEAL (Sea, Air & Land) and his secondary military specialty is demolitions.
Torpedo was originally a scuba instructor prior to enlistment. He attained black belts in the martial arts Wu-Shu, Kenpo and Go-Ju-Ryu by age 19; and he is proficient with the Filipino butterfly knife (Bali-Song). His training records after SEAL school are classified, but he is a qualified expert in most NATO small arms and NATO & Warsaw Pact explosive devices. Torpedo is a strict vegetarian and spends his off-duty hours perfecting his fighting skills and marksmanship. He is regarded by his teammates as a highly-competent professional, but is said to have the personality of a cold fish.
Torpedo was first released as an action figure in 1983.
In the Marvel Comics G.I. Joe series, he first appeared in G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #13 (July 1983). He assists in repelling a Cobra terrorist attack on the U.S. Mint; he is shown shooting a Cobra soldier in the chest with his spear gun.
Later, he assists Mutt and Tripwire in recon of Zartan's Dreadnoks headquarters. This takes place deep in the Florida Everglades. They get into a running gunfight with most of Cobra high command. The trio escapes successfully.
Torpedo and Wet Suit are sent to infiltrate Cobra Island after a mission of passive surveillance sees the Oktober Guard doing the same. The two come into conflict with Croc Master's crocodiles and try to take the opportunity to kidnap Cobra Commander. They ally with the Guard, battle Cobra forces and are forced to retreat in a stolen Cobra vehicle.
Torpedo is one of the many G.I. Joe soldiers to take part in the Cobra Island civil war. In G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #76 (Sept. 1988) he is shown as part of a secondary assault team attack Cobra Commander's position from the swampy west.
Torpedo appears in a G.I. Joe Public Service Announcement where he tells a kid who had fallen into the ocean how to tread water until help arrives.
Torpedo appeared in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon.
Spy Troops and Valor vs. Venom
- Hama, Larry (1987). Howard Mackie, ed. G.I. Joe Order Of Battle. Marvel Entertainment Group. p. 114. ISBN 0-87135-288-5.
- Bellomo, Mark (2009). The Ultimate Guide to G.I. Joe 1982-1994: Identification and Price Guide. Krause Publications. p. 34. ISBN 978-0896899223.
- Santelmo, Vincent (1994). The Official 30th Anniversary Salute To G.I. Joe 1964-1994. Krause Publications. p. 98. ISBN 0-87341-301-6.
- Rapid Runner w/ Chief Torpedo at YOJOE.com Retrieved 2012-04-24
- G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #13 (July 1983)
- G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #25-28
- G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #36
- G.I. Joe Yearbook #4 (1988)
- G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #76 (Sept. 1988)
- Erickson, Hal (2005). Television cartoon shows: an illustrated encyclopedia, 1949 through 2003, Volume 1. McFarland & Co. p. 376. ISBN 978-0-7864-2099-5.
- Roberts, Matt. "G.I. Joe for Personal Computers". YoJoe.com. Retrieved 2010-03-20.
- Torpedo at JMM's G.I. Joe Comics Home Page