Tower at PNC Plaza
|Tower at PNC Plaza|
The Tower at PNC seen from the intersection at Fifth Ave at Wood St.
|Location||300 Fifth Ave., Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania|
|Opening||October 2, 2015|
|Owner||PNC Financial Services Group|
|Management||PNC Realty Services|
|Roof||544 ft (166 m)|
|Top floor||424 ft (129 m)|
|Floor area||800,000 sq ft (74,322 m2)|
|Design and construction|
|Developer||PNC Financial Services Group|
|Main contractor||PJ Dick|
The Tower at PNC Plaza is a high-rise building in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It is the corporate headquarters of the PNC Financial Services Group and has approximately 800,000 square feet (74,000 m2), standing 33 stories (545 feet) tall. Nearby buildings totaling 37,000 square feet (3,400 m2), were purchased by PNC and deconstructed to make space for the Tower at PNC Plaza. It is located at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Wood Street, where PNC and its predecessors have been based since 1858.
The project was estimated to cost $400 million when announced in 2011 (or $455 million today).
Construction began in spring of 2012 and was completed in October 2015. The tower is one of the greenest high-rises ever built, and even exceeds the current criteria for a LEED Platinum certified building. The Tower features numerous sustainable attributes such as an operable double-skin facade, an onsite grey water reuse system, locally sourced building materials, fixtures and furniture made from recycled materials, and numerous other green strategies to substantially reduce the environmental impact of the building. Some of these features enable the Tower's heating and cooling systems to operate in a "net-zero-energy state" up to 30% of the year. This is accomplished by its innovative solar chimney, which creates a stack effect through the core of the building to ventilate excess heat without the need for mechanical ventilation. The Tower's sloped roof acts as a solar collector and is positioned facing south.
The tower's "topping off" ceremony was held Tuesday, June 24, 2014 with William Demchak, PNC chairman, president and CEO, and Gary Saulson, director of corporate real estate hosting it on site. The tower officially opened on October 2, 2015
- "The Tower at PNC Plaza". Skyscraper Center. CTBUH. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "The Tower at PNC Plaza". PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. Retrieved 23 May 2011.
- "Downtown Pittsburgh Getting New Skyscraper". 23 May 2011. Retrieved 23 May 2011.
- Belko, Mark (23 May 2011). "PNC to build new 'eco-friendly' headquarters Downtown". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 23 May 2011.
- "PNC planning 2012 start on new headquarters tower Downtown". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Welch, Chris (December 22, 2012). "PNC Bank building a 'breathing' skyscraper for its new Pittsburgh headquarters". The Verge.
- PNC Bank building a 'breathing' skyscraper for its new Pittsburgh headquarters
- Belko, Mark. "PNC shows off tower, its crown jewel". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2015-10-02.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tower at PNC Plaza.|
- Official Project Website
- Live Camera of Construction
- Contractor information site
- The Tower at PNC Plaza The Tower at PNC Plaza
Cathedral of Learning
| Pittsburgh Skyscrapers by Height
Three PNC Plaza
| Pittsburgh Skyscrapers by Year of Completion
The Gardens at Market Square
|This article related to a building or structure in Pittsburgh is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|