Trout bum is an affectionate nickname for dedicated trout anglers, particularly those who practice fly fishing. Use of the term is similar in tone and meaning to the antiquated term, "Surf bum". The term was popularized by author John Gierach, whose early work, Trout Bum is an anthology of informal, narrative essays on flyfishing; and magazine articles he wrote before 1986.
Fly Rod and Reel Magazine hosts an annual "trout bum" tournament dedicated to the pursuit of as many trout species as a two-man team of anglers can catch on a budget of only $500.
- "Discuss fly fishing with other Trout Bums". Rocky Mountain Fly Fish.
- "Fly Fishing for Trout, close-up trout stream insect pictures and hatch-matching details". Troutnut.com.
- "fly fishing podcasts, photoblog, and online community". The Itinerant Angler.
- "the original fly fishing podcast". Flyfish Radio.
- "a daily blog for dedicated trout anglers". MidCurrent Flyfishing.
- "Moldy Chum".
- "Fly fishing resource focused on the Pacific Northwest United". NorthWestTrout. States
- "fly fishing videos, podcasts, adventures, and expeditions". AEGMEDIA.COM.
- "Southern States Fly Fishing Trout Bum community". Blue Ridge Fly Fisherman's Forum.