||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (May 2015)|
Singer/Guitarist Sam McTrusty at The Viper Room, 2012
|Labels||Red Bull Records|
Twin Atlantic are a rock band from Glasgow, Scotland. The band is composed of Sam McTrusty (lead vocals, rhythm guitar), Barry McKenna (lead guitar, cello, backing vocals), Ross McNae (bass guitar, piano, backing vocals) and Craig Kneale (drums, percussion, backing vocals). They have released three albums: Vivarium, Free and Great Divide.
Formation, A Guidance from Colour (2007–08)
Twin Atlantic formed in February 2007 having attended Hutcheson Grammar School together. All members previously played in other small local bands. During 2007 they built up a strong reputation both locally and nationally. Twin Atlantic supported Circa Survive and mewithoutYou before recording their debut EP A Guidance from Colour at Long Wave Studio in Cardiff with producer Romesh Dodangoda (Funeral for a Friend, Kids in Glass Houses, The Blackout). This culminated in the release of their debut EP on 14 January 2008 and their first single, "Audience & Audio", on 24 December 2007.
Building on support from Kerrang!, the band's profile was boosted enough for them to land support slots with Biffy Clyro and they were personally chosen by Jimmy Chamberlin to support Smashing Pumpkins at Glasgow's SECC in early February. Over the following months, they also supported American acts The Matches, Blink-182, Finch and Say Anything on their respective UK tours.
The band signed a single deal with King Tut's Recordings, and "What Is Light? Where Is Laughter?" was released on 29 September 2008. They also completed a joint headline tour of Scotland with The Xcerts and their first set of solo headline dates across the UK.
In March 2009, Twin Atlantic released their debut mini-album Vivarium. They released the lead single "Lightspeed" as a free download from their website on 29 July 2009, with a bonus acoustic version of the track also available. The follow-up single "You're Turning Into John Wayne" was released on 7 September 2009, with the mini-album released a week later.
On 7 March 2009, they played a sold out gig at Queen Margaret Union (QMU).
The band toured extensively in 2009 and 2010, having played Download Festival, Guilfest, T in the Park, Sonisphere and Belladrum over the summer of 2009, including supporting Taking Back Sunday on a tour of the UK and Ireland in July 2009. This continued into a full tour of the UK in September and then the United States with The Fall of Troy and Envy On The Coast in March and April 2010. In June 2010, Twin Atlantic supported The Gaslight Anthem on their British mini-tour and on 7 August 2010 they played at the Hevy Music Festival.
Twin Atlantic finished recording their album, Free, and it was released on 29 April 2011 in the Republic of Ireland and 2 May 2011 in the United Kingdom. The album's first single was "Edit Me", released on 14 February.
Second single "Free" was first played on BBC Radio 1 on the Zane Lowe show between 7pm & 9pm on 10 March. The third single released was "Time For You To Stand Up" on 11 July, with "Cherry Slut" and "Babylonian Throwdown" as B-sides. On 26 September, a fourth single was released from the album; "Make A Beast Of Myself", including the B-side "Your Amazing Lying, Lion, Lie In".
Their song "Crash Land" was featured in the British film Not Another Happy Ending in 2013.
Great Divide (2014–present)
On 23 April 2014 the band's third studio album Great Divide was announced, with a release date of 18 August 2014. Pre-orders of the album were also made available on this day.
On 30th October 2014 Craig confirmed that Twin Atlantic will be embarking on another UK Tour in April 2015, announcing a headline show at The SSE Hydro, Glasgow, their largest headline show to date. He added that he would like to appear at more festivals, but seemed uncertain of the possibilites of doing so after such recent performances at Reading and Leeds 4 years running. 
During Summer, the band will perform at several European festival shows including "Glastonbury Fesitval" and hometown "T in the Park" festival at new site at Strathallan Castle. The band will headline Radio 1 Stage on Saturday at #TITP2015. The band will conclude their album campaign at Reading and Leeds Festival in August 2015.
Last single from album campaign was "Fall Into The Party", the official video included highlights of last 18 months promoting the album at several gigs, festivals, hmv signing and their massive headline show at The SSE Hydro.
- Sam McTrusty – lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Barry McKenna – lead guitar, cello, keyboards, backing vocals
- Ross McNae – bass, keyboards, backing vocals
- Craig Kneale – drums, percussion, backing vocals
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions||Certifications|
|2011||Free||37||5||4||—||BPI - Silver|
|"—" denotes a title that did not chart.|
|A Guidance from Colour||CD / digital download||14 January 2008|
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2007||"Audience And Audio"||—||—||—||Non-album singles|
|2008||"What Is Light? Where Is Laughter?"||—||—||—|
|"You're Turning Into John Wayne"||—||—||—|
|"What Is Light? Where Is Laughter?" (re-release)||—||—||—|
|2010||"Human After All"||—||—||—|
|"Time For You To Stand Up"||—||—||—|
|"Make A Beast Of Myself"||—||—||—|
|2012||"Make A Beast Of Myself" (re-release)||143||—||—|
|"Yes, I Was Drunk"||—||—||—|
|2014||"Heart And Soul"||17||35||—||Great Divide|
|"Brothers And Sisters"||47||—||—|
|"Fall Into The Party"||—||—||—|
|"—" denotes a title that did not chart|
- "AllMusic - Twin Atlantic".
- "Mind Equals Blown - Review Twin Atlantic 'Great Divide'". 12 January 2015.
- "Twin Atlantic Biography | Twin Atlantic". Free.twinatlantic.com. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "August 2010 - Custom House Square, Belfast". Belsonic. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- McKinlay, Fiona (2010-11-17). "DiS meets My Chemical Romance: "It's hard to stay dirty" / In Depth // Drowned In Sound". Drownedinsound.com. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "Twin Atlantic Recording Debut Album With Gil Norton | News | Rock Sound". Rocksound.tv. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "Twin Atlantic Announce Debut Album Title | News | Rock Sound". Rocksound.tv. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "‘Time For You To Stand Up’ Released Today. | Twin Atlantic". Free.twinatlantic.com. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- Hawkins, Sam. "AdTech Ad Listen: Twin Atlantic Return With New Single, ‘Heart And Soul’". Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "Twin Atlantic set release date for much anticipated third album". Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Craig Kneale @ Leeds Beckett University
- "‘British Phonographic Industry certifications, Twin Atlantic 'Free' certified Silver in the UK for sales of over 60,000 units.'". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- Official Charts Company - TWIN ATLANTIC Official Charts Company. Retrieved February 14, 2015.
- "Future Releases on Alternative Radio Stations". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on 20 June 2014.
- Official website
- Twin Atlantic on Myspace
- Twin Atlantic on Facebook
- Twin Atlantic's channel on YouTube
- Twin Atlantic on Twitter