Alualu during his tenure at Cal in August 2009
|No. 93 Jacksonville Jaguars|
|Date of birth:||May 12, 1987|
|Place of birth:||Honolulu, Hawaii|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||295 lb (134 kg)|
|High school:||Honolulu (HI) Saint Louis|
|NFL draft:||2010 / Round: 1 / Pick: 10|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 4, 2015|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Tyson Alualu (// AH-loo-AH-loo; born May 12, 1987) is an American football defensive end for the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League. He was drafted by the Jaguars in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played college football at California.
A native of Honolulu, Hawaii, Alualu attended and graduated from Saint Louis School in Hawaii in 2005. He was selected to the all-state team twice by the Honolulu Star Bulletin. He was ranked as the No. 2 player in Hawaii and the No. 24 defensive tackle in America by Rivals.com for 2005. He recorded 7 sacks and 59 tackles in high school. During his senior year, he was named the ILH Player of the Year by the Honolulu Advertiser.
Alualu played in all 13 games of his first season, then started all thirteen games of his next three consecutive seasons. He earned second-team All-Pac-10 honors in as a junior 2008 and first-team All-Pac-10 honors as a senior in 2009. Following his senior season, Alualu represented Cal at the 2010 Senior Bowl, where he finished the game with a sack, a fumble forced, and a fumble recovered.
2010 NFL Draft
Originally projected a low-first to early-second round pick, Alualu was drafted as the tenth overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft by the Jacksonville Jaguars, a move that was widely regarded as the biggest surprise of the draft, and according to Mel Kiper, Jr., was "a risky move for taking him this high".
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 2¼ in||295 lb||4.87 s||1.67 s||2.82 s||4.43 s||7.15 s||35½ in||9 ft 8 in||21 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
On August 2, 2010, Alualu signed a five-year deal with the Jaguars. The contract includes $17.5 million guaranteed and a total value of roughly $28 million.
In the first game of the regular season on September 12, Alualu recorded his first career NFL sack in a 24–17 victory over the Denver Broncos. Over the course of the season Alualu started all 16 games, recording a total of 38 tackles and 3.5 sacks. Following his rookie year, he was named to All-Rookie teams by National Football Post, Pro Football Weekly and The Sporting News.
On March 7, 2015, the Jaguars re-signed Alualu to a two-year, $6 million contract.
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
- GP: games played
- COMB: combined tackles
- TOTAL: total tackles
- AST: assisted tackles
- SACK: sacks
- FF: forced fumbles
- FR: fumble recoveries
- FR YDS: fumble return yards
- INT: interceptions
- IR YDS: interception return yards
- AVG IR: average interception return
- LNG: longest interception return
- TD: interceptions returned for touchdown
- PD: passes defensed
Alualu was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, and grew up in the Kuhio Park Terrace neighbourhood of Kalihi. He was one of nine children, with seven sisters and a brother. His father, Ta'avao Alualu went in and out of prison in Alualu's youth, convicted multiple times on assault and drug charges.
Alualu married Desire Pomele in 2005. He had started at California in the summer of that year, but returned home before fall semester classes to get married and to see the birth of his first child, Tyree. He returned to California and enrolled in January 2006. Alualu also has a daughter, Dere'on who was born in 2008.
- "Cal player biography".
- "Alualu, Rego head ILH All-Star Team". Retrieved 2004-12-14.
- [dead link]
- "Tyson Alualu". CNN.
- "Friday Morning QB: Jaguars make huge reach, plus 32 Things I Think". CNN. April 23, 2010.
- "Round 1 Snaps (cont.)". CNN. April 22, 2010.
- Miller, Ted. "Cal's Alualu surprise 10th pick in NFL draft". Pac-10 Blog - ESPN. Retrieved 2010-12-23.
- "Draft Reach = No Sense". TheDraftThinker.com.
- "Tyson Alualu Draft Profile". NFLDraftScout.com. Retrieved November 1, 2010.
- "Jacksonville Jaguars' top pick Tyson Alualu finally agrees to deal". USA Today. August 2, 2010.
- "SN NFL Rookie of the Year: Ndamukong Suh". Sportingnews.com. January 12, 2011. Retrieved January 14, 2011.
- Oehser, John. "Jaguars OTAs 2013: Alualu moves outside". Jaguars.com. Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- Patra, Kevin (March 7, 2015). "Jaguars re-signing former top-10 pick Tyson Alualu". NFL.com. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Tyson Alualu Stats". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 19 February 2015.
- "Island roots run deep for Jaguars teammates Vince Manuwai, Tyson Alualu". Florida Times-Union. October 16, 2010.
- Mike Reiss "Alualu's mettle is proven". www.espn.com. Retrieved November 3, 2010.
- "Kalihi's Tyson Alualu picked 10th overall in NFL draft". KFVE. April 23, 2010.
- "Jaguars sold on maturity of Tyson Alualu". Florida Times-Union. May 1, 2010.
- Simmons, Rusty (August 21, 2010). "Cal lineman lets his defense make noise". The San Francisco Chronicle.
- Simmons, Rusty (August 18, 2010). "The Family Guy". The San Francisco Chronicle.