Derrick Morgan (American football)
|No. 91 Tennessee Titans|
|Date of birth:||January 6, 1989|
|Place of birth:||Lancaster, Pennsylvania|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||261 lb (118 kg)|
|High school:||Coatesville (PA) Area|
|NFL draft:||2010 / Round: 1 / Pick: 16|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2015|
Derrick Lee Morgan (born January 6, 1989) is an American football linebacker for the Tennessee Titans of the National Football League (NFL). Morgan was selected 16th overall by the Titans in the 2010 NFL Draft. He played college football at Georgia Tech.
High school career
Morgan was born in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He attended Coatesville Area High School in Coatesville, Pennsylvania, where he played for the Coatesville Red Raiders football team. As a senior he was named league Defensive Player of the Year and first-team All-State after recording 47 tackles and 7 sacks at the defensive end position. He also played running back on offense, rushing for 523 yards and 8 touchdowns.
Morgan attended the Georgia Institute of Technology from 2007 to 2009, playing for the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets of the Atlantic Coast Conference. As a true freshman in 2007 he appeared in 12 of 13 games, recording nine tackles as a reserve defensive end. The following year as a sophomore he started all 13 games, contributing 51 tackles and 7 sacks while earning an honorable mention All-ACC selection. As a junior in 2009, Morgan was named ACC Defensive Player of the Year and earned first-team All-American honors from Associated Press, Pro Football Weekly, and Scout.com. He finished the season with 55 tackles (including 18.5 for a loss) and 12.5 sacks while helping his team to a conference championship. After his junior year Morgan decided to enter the 2010 NFL draft.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 3 in||266 lb||34½ in||9¾ in||4.77 s||1.60 s||2.70 s||4.43 s||7.12 s||34 in||9 ft 4 in||x reps||x|
|All values from NFL Combine|
Morgan was selected 16th overall by the Tennessee Titans in the 2010 NFL Draft. He signed a six-year contract on July 31, 2010; however, the deal also included playing time incentives that later voided the final year. As a free agent in 2015, Morgan fielded interest from multiple teams before signing a new 4-year, $30 million contract with the Titans on March 13.
Morgan played at the 4-3 defensive end position his first four seasons with the Titans, then switched to outside linebacker in 2014 as part of the team's transition to a 3-4 defense. Morgan has remained a starter on the Titans defense since 2011.
Morgan wore the uniform number 90 until changing to 91 prior to the beginning of the 2012 season.
Morgan made his first career start on game 7 of the 2011 season and remained a starter for the rest of the year. He led the team with 20 quarterback pressures. During the preseason he had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee but missed only the first regular season game.
Morgan was second on the Titans with 6 sacks in 2013.
During his first year at linebacker in 2014, Morgan led the Titans with 6.5 sacks while starting all 16 games. He also set career highs in tackles (82), quarterback pressures (26), tackles for loss (13), passes defensed (9), and forced fumbles (2). He was rated as the eighth best 3-4 outside linebacker by Pro Football Focus.
Morgan had a notable start to the 2015 season, recording 4.5 sacks in the first four games. During the sixth game he suffered a shoulder injury however. He played through the injury the next four games, then was shut down for the rest of the season. He had surgery on December 15 to repair a torn left labrum.
GP: games played, GS: games started, COMB: combined tackles, SOLO: solo tackles, AST: assisted tackles SACK: sacks, INT: interceptions, FF: forced fumbles, FR: fumbles recovered, PD: passes defensed
Morgan has spoken publicly about the medicinal properties of marijuana that he believes could benefit NFL players, particularly in treating and preventing the serious brain injuries and diseases that have afflicted many players. Morgan has called on the NFL to conduct research on the neuroprotective benefits of the drug, as part of the league's stated commitment to making player health and safety issues a top priority. Morgan has also donated money out of his own pocket to help fund medical cannabis research.
Morgan follows the lead of Eugene Monroe, who in March 2016 became the first active NFL player to openly advocate for the league to change its stance on marijuana. Morgan and Monroe appeared together in a June 2016 interview with Katie Couric of Yahoo News, the first time Morgan has spoken on the subject.
Morgan delivered his second child at home in April 2015.
- "Derrick Morgan bio". ramblinwreck.com. Retrieved July 10, 2016.
- "Derrick Morgan bio" (PDF). titansonline.com. Retrieved July 7, 2016.
- "Dwyer, Burnett, Morgan to go pro". ESPN. Associated Press. January 11, 2010. Retrieved July 10, 2016.
- "Derrick Morgan, DS #1 DE, Georgia Tech". NFL Draft Scout.
- "Titans Take DE Derrick Morgan with 16th Pick". titansonline.com. Associated Press. April 22, 2010.
- Wyatt, Jim (August 6, 2010). "A closer look at Morgan's contract". The Tennessean. Archived from the original on April 1, 2012.
- Chiari, Mike (March 13, 2015). "Derrick Morgan Re-Signs with Titans: Latest Contract Details, Comments, Reaction". Bleacher Report. Retrieved July 7, 2016.
- Wyatt, Jim (June 10, 2014). "Titans' Derrick Morgan embraces new position". The Tennessean. Retrieved July 7, 2016.
- Walker, Teresa (October 4, 2010). "Top Draft Pick Morgan Out for Year With Torn ACL". titansonline.com. Associated Press. Retrieved July 7, 2016.
- "Derrick Morgan has more knee surgery". ESPN. Associated Press. August 30, 2011. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- Glennon, John (February 17, 2014). "Tennessee Titans hope Derrick Morgan can learn from college coach". The Tennessean. Retrieved July 7, 2016.
- "Derrick Morgan - Player News". Rotoworld. Archived from the original on November 21, 2015. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- Wyatt, Jim (December 18, 2015). "Titans OLB Derrick Morgan looking forward to 2016". titansonline.com. Retrieved July 7, 2016.
- "Derrick Morgan Stats". ESPN. Retrieved July 9, 2016.
- Korman, Chris (June 27, 2016). "Derrick Morgan doesn't want to get high, he wants to save his brain". USA Today. Retrieved July 9, 2016.
- Kuharsky, Paul (July 26, 2016). "Derrick Morgan has researched medical cannabis, says it's NFL's turn". ESPN. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- Jhabvala, Nicki (June 23, 2016). "Titans' Derrick Morgan becomes second active NFL player on CBD campaign". The Denver Post. Retrieved July 9, 2016.
- Kuharsky, Paul (June 23, 2016). "Titans' Derrick Morgan wants NFL to study health benefits of cannabis". ESPN. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- McCormick, Terry (June 22, 2015). "Titans' Morgan helped to deliver his daughter in April". 247Sports. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- Terrill, Steve (March 28, 2011). "'They have real problems over here'". ESPN. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- "Starkey Hearing Foundation, Marlee Matlin and Football Stars Embark on Mission to Africa to Deliver the Gift of Hearing" (Press release). Business Wire. March 10, 2011. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- Ruiz, Eric (May 5, 2016). "Derrick Morgan and an Atypical NFL Offseason". Observer. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- Wyatt, Jim (February 25, 2015). "Titans' Morgan wonders if address will change soon". The Tennessean. Retrieved July 8, 2016.