Union City station
Platform as seen in Spring 2000.
|Location||Ten Union Square
Union City, CA 94587
|Owned by||Bay Area Rapid Transit|
|Connections||AC Transit: Routes 97, 99, 216*, 232, 264*, 275, 332**, 333***, 345** (local); 801 (All Nighter)
Dumbarton Express*: Routes DB, DB1
Union City Transit: Routes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9
* - Route operates weekdays only
** - Route operates weekends and holidays only
*** - Newark FlexBus, a service that operates from 7pm to midnight weeknights (except holidays)
† - Route operates weekdays and Saturdays only
|Parking||1197 spaces- Monthly Reserved, Daily ($2/day), Extended Weekend (free), Midday (free after 3pm) and Long Term|
|Bicycle facilities||20 BikeLink Lockers|
|Opened||September 11, 1972 (44 years ago)|
|Passengers (FY 2016)||5,108 exits/day 3.11%|
Union City station is a Bay Area Rapid Transit station located in downtown Union City near the Decoto district. Service at this station began on September 11, 1972. The station sits near Decoto Road east of Alvarado-Niles Road, directly behind James Logan High School's campus. Temporary parking spaces were constructed in 2006, and opened in the Summer of 2007.
The station is currently undergoing construction through 2016 to create a second entrance on the other side of the station. The new eastern station entrance will entail remodeling of the station's platforms and lobby, new bus stop shelters will be built near the entrance, and a pedestrian bridge will be built to connect the East plaza, the opening of this phase will happen at a future date.
|Northbound/Westbound||← Richmond–Warm Springs/South Fremont toward Richmond (South Hayward)
← Warm Springs/South Fremont–Daly City toward Daly City (South Hayward)
|Southbound/Eastbound||→ Richmond–Warm Springs/South Fremont toward Warm Springs
→ Warm Springs/South Fremont–Daly City toward Warm Springs
|Mezzanine||One-way faregates, ticket machines, station agent|
Union City future intermodal rail station
||This article needs to be updated. (November 2016)|
Currently, no connection to other regional trains exists at Union City BART station. In February 2008, Union City's Economic Development Department and BART proposed that this station become a regional rail intermodal station. The intermodal station would serve BART trains, Capitol Corridor intercity trains, and Dumbarton Rail Corridor commuter rail service connecting to Caltrain on the Peninsula via a new rail bridge to replace the existing Dumbarton Rail Bridge. For now, the Dumbarton Express bus service provides such service to the Peninsula, operating between Union City and Palo Alto. Funding for this project went to Bart to San Jose project which would be opened in 2017, however the current status for Dumbarton Rail is unknown.
Station expansion and development
||This section may stray from the topic of the article. (February 2016)|
In May 2011, developers, Union City and BART officials unveiled the first residential housing project inside the city/transit agency-specified redevelopment district. The BART station building facade has been completely renovated and overhauled facelift which lends it an airy feeling similar to SFO station.
Across the street sits the newly constructed East Plaza, which features a fountain containing three bronze sculptures created by French sculptor Louis Derebe. In February 2014, construction on Phase 2 began; around 300 apartments were constructed near the eastern entrance of the station.
- "Union City Station". Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART). Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Bay Area Rapid Transit District. "Monthly Ridership Reports". Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- "Celebrating 40 Years of Service 1972 • 2012 Forty BART Achievements Over the Years" (PDF). Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART). 2012. Retrieved 2013-11-30.
- Benedetti, Chris (2014-02-21). "Intermodal Station District parking". Contra Costa Times. Retrieved 2014-12-14.
- "Intermodal Station District". City of Union City, California. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- "BART builds solar-powered rail station". Trains Magazine. 68 (2): 23. February 2008. ISSN 0041-0934.
- Maharaj, Zoneil (May 11, 2011). "New Affordable Housing Apartments Ready by October". Union City Patch. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Maharaj, Zoneil (March 30, 2011). "Second Phase of Intermodal Station District Underway". Union City Patch. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Goll, David (December 2, 2010). "Intermodal Station District". The Business Journals. Retrieved 2010-12-02.