Union Township, Muskingum County, Ohio
|Union Township, Muskingum County, Ohio|
Location of Union Township in Muskingum County
|• Total||25.5 sq mi (65.9 km2)|
|• Land||25.4 sq mi (65.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||965 ft (294 m)|
|• Density||171.4/sq mi (66.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086735|
Union Township is one of the twenty-five townships of Muskingum County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 4,359 people in the township, 1,595 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located on the eastern edge of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Highland Township - north
- Adams Township, Guernsey County - northeast corner
- Westland Township, Guernsey County - east
- Rich Hill Township - south
- Salt Creek Township - southwest
- Perry Township - west
- Salem Township - northwest corner
Name and history
In 1833, Union Township contained two post offices, four churches, one saw mill, and two physicians.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Muskingum County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 454. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.