University Christian School
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|University Christian School|
5520 University Blvd W|
Jacksonville, (Duval County), Florida 32216
|Founder||Jack J. Dinsbeer (Former Pastor of University Baptist Church)|
|Superintendent||Pastor Frank Ciresi|
|Principal||Beverly Bandy (Upper School), Tim Murr (Middle School), Christie Wiley (Lower School)|
|Head of school||Heath Nivins|
|Average class size||apx. 35 students|
|Hours in school day||apx.7|
|Campus||Lower Socially Economic Suburban|
|Campus size||9 acres (3.6 ha)|
|Color(s)||Blue, Vegas Gold, and White|
|Slogan||"Truth, Tradition, Transformation"|
|Team name||"Fightin Christians"|
|Rival||Trinity Christian School|
|Accreditation||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools |
|School fees||$200-$650 depending on grade level|
|Tuition||Grades K5-6th=$6850; Grades 7th-12th= $7950|
University Christian School is a private Christian school in Jacksonville, Florida, U.S. It is part of the ministry of the University Church, a local Baptist congregation. It serves students from pre-kindergarten through graduation. The school has a strong focus on sports. The school was established as a segregation academy in response to court ordered desegregation of public schools.
University Christian School is an extension of University Church. University Church was founded in 1950; Jack J. Dinsbeer became pastor of the small congregation in 1953. Under his leadership the church grew in membership, and in 1965 the church established a kindergarten. In 1970 University Christian School expanded into a full elementary school with grades one through six. The first class graduated in 1973, and a year later the administration acquired more land for additional buildings to house a middle and high school. The school continued to expand in the 1990s.
In 2012, the school replaced textbooks with iPads.
University Christian's football team won the State Championship in its division in December 2012 and again in December 2015. It won a back-to-back championship in 2016
- Glenn Davis, Former professional baseball player (Houston Astros, Baltimore Orioles)
- Storm Davis, Former professional baseball player (Baltimore Orioles, San Diego Padres, Oakland Athletics, Kansas City Royals, Detroit Tigers) and current Pitching Coach of the Daytona Cubs
- Ashley Greene, actress (Twilight Saga)
- Marquis Haynes, Defensive End for Ole Miss
- SACS-CASI. "SACS-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on April 29, 2009. Retrieved June 23, 2009.
- White, Tim; Smith, Kimberly M. (2012-10-08). At the End of the Road: One Man's Journey from Chaos to Clarity. BookBaby. ISBN 9780985917715.
- "About Us". ucschool.org. Retrieved October 27, 2010.
- Sanders, Topher (Jan 20, 2012). "iPad to replace textbooks at University Christian". Florida Times-Union. Retrieved 4 December 2017.