Unvanquished (video game)
|Genre(s)||First-person shooter, Real-time strategy|
Players fight in an alien or human team with respective melee and conventional ballistic weaponry. The aim of the game is to destroy the enemy team and the structures that keep them alive, as well as ensure one's own team's bases and expansions are maintained. Players earn resources for themselves and their team via aggression.
Unvanquished traces its game-play lineage from Tremulous, a now defunct open-source game that has had over 3 million downloads. The current gameplay and game resources are under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 license whilst the daemon engine is under the GPL.
Unvanquished is developed by a team of volunteers who release a new Alpha on the first Sunday of every month.
Development began the summer of 2011, with the first alpha version being released on February 29, 2012.
The daemon engine is a fork of the OpenWolf engine combined with features from other quake-derived engines such as Xreal and ET-XreaL. Its development is now proceeding in its own path from its predecessors.
- Navigation-mesh based bot AI configured with behavior trees
- Voice say system
- Support for multiple starting build layouts per map
- Modern GL3 capable renderer
- Improved Quake 3 shader system:
- Procedural vertex deformation
- Alpha mapping
- Specular mapping (color and intensity)
- Glow mapping
- Bump (heightmap), normal, and parallax mapping
- Many special effects:
- Motion blur
- Rim lighting
- Heat haze
- Outline fonts
- Procedural animation blending
- In-game IRC client
- VoIP support
- Remote administration support
- Localization support
- Curses-based console
unv://protocol to allow starting the game from a web browser or with an internet link
- Main project website
- Project wiki
- Unvanquished articles on Phoronix
- Source code on github
- Unvanquished on Mod Data Base
- "About - Unvanquished". Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- "Sourceforge download statistics for Tremulous". Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- "Unvanquished COPYING file". Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- "About | Unvanquished". www.unvanquished.net. Retrieved 2015-10-15.
- "Unvanquished: A Very Promising Open-Source Game (First Phoronix article on Unvanquished)". Retrieved 2015-07-07.
- Marius Nestor (3 August 2015). "Unvanquished FPS Game Gets Tremulous' Vega Map, Plans on Leaving SourceForge". softpedia.
- "Unvanquished wiki - Engine".