Unvanquished (video game)
A large alien Tyrant is being attacked by a human (background) and a machine-gun turret (offscreen, left) as it tries to demolish the human base.
|Genre(s)||First-person shooter, Real-time strategy|
Unvanquished is a free and open-source video game. It is multi-player team-based, first-person shooter and real-time strategy game. A new alpha version is released on the first Sunday of every month.
Players fight in an alien or human team with respective melee and conventional ballistic weaponry. The aim of the game is to destroy the enemy team and the structures that keep them alive, as well as ensure one's own team's bases and expansions are maintained. Players earn resources for themselves and their team via aggression.
Unvanquished traces its game-play lineage from Tremulous, a now defunct open-source game that has had over 3 million downloads. The current gameplay and game resources are under the CC BY-SA 2.5 Creative Commons license whilst the daemon engine is under the GPL.
Unvanquished is developed by a team of volunteers who release a new Alpha on the first Sunday of every month.
Development began the summer of 2011, with the first alpha version being released on February 29, 2012.
The daemon engine is a fork of the OpenWolf engine combined with features from other quake-derived engines such as Xreal and ET-XreaL. Its development is now proceeding in its own path from its predecessors.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Unvanquished.|
- "About - Unvanquished". Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- "Sourceforge download statistics for Tremulous". Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- "Unvanquished COPYING file". Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- "About | Unvanquished". www.unvanquished.net. Retrieved 2015-10-15.
- "Unvanquished: A Very Promising Open-Source Game (First Phoronix article on Unvanquished)". Retrieved 2015-07-07.
- Marius Nestor (3 August 2015). "Unvanquished FPS Game Gets Tremulous' Vega Map, Plans on Leaving SourceForge". softpedia.