Peter McCawley is a visiting fellow in the Arndt-Corden Department of Economics (Indonesia Project) at the Australian National University. McCawley has held positions as an adviser and official within the Australian bureaucracy, especially with the Australian aid agency AusAID. He has also held senior positions in the Asian Development Bank. He has written on economic issues, particularly about economic development in Asia and especially in Indonesia.
Pages on Wikipedia
Current key Indonesia pages
Main contributions (adding to existing pages)
Other contributions (adding to existing pages)
McCawley attended the Australian National University and graduated with a PhD specialising in the Indonesian economy.
- Lecturer, faculty of economics, Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta, Indonesia (1972-1974)
- Adviser, Australian ministers: to the minister for Social Security and later Treasurer, Bill Hayden (1974-75) and to the Treasurer, John Kerin (1991).
- Research fellow and later head, Indonesia project, Australian National University (1976-85)
- Deputy Director General in the Australian aid agency (1986-91) then known as AIDAB and in 1996-2002 (then known as AusAID).
- Executive Director, Asian Development Bank, Manila (1992-1996)
- Dean, Asian Development Bank Institute, Tokyo (2003-2007)
- Economic adviser, USAID-SEADI project in the Indonesian National Planning Bureau (Bappenas), Jakarta (2011-2013)
- Principal author, Asian Development Bank history project, Manila (2014 - 2017)
- Visiting fellow, Arndt-Corden department of economics (Indonesia project), Australian National University (2007 - present)
- Published as Banking on the Future of Asia and the Pacific: 50 Years of the Asian Development Bank, (2017), Manila: Asian Development Bank.