User talk:Finlay McWalter
- 1 Archives
- 2 Leave new messages at the bottom please
- 2.1 Extended confirmed protection
- 2.2 A barnstar for you!
- 2.3 Sentence of the week
- 2.4 Please revoke talk page access
- 2.5 Two-Factor Authentication now available for admins
- 2.6 A new user right for New Page Patrollers
- 2.7 ArbCom Elections 2016: Voting now open!
- 2.8 ArbCom Elections 2016: Voting now open!
- 2.9 Pizzagate
- User talk:Finlay McWalter/archive1 (September 14, 2003 → August 14, 2004)
- User talk:Finlay McWalter/archive2 (August 15, 2004 → August 23, 2005)
- User talk:Finlay McWalter/archive3 (August 24, 2005 → December 3, 2006)
- User talk:Finlay McWalter/archive4 (December 4, 2006 → September 21, 2007)
- User talk:Finlay McWalter/archive5 (September 22, 2007 → September 13, 2008)
- User talk:Finlay McWalter/archive6 (September 14, 2008 → September 13, 2009)
- User talk:Finlay McWalter/archive7 (September 14, 2009 → September 13, 2010)
- User talk:Finlay McWalter/archive8 (September 14, 2010 → September 13, 2011)
- User talk:Finlay McWalter/archive9 (September 14, 2011 → September 13, 2012)
- User talk:Finlay McWalter/archive10 (September 14, 2012 → September 13, 2013)
- User talk:Finlay McWalter/archive11 (September 14, 2013 → September 13, 2014)
- User talk:Finlay McWalter/archive12 (September 14, 2014 → September 13, 2015)
- User talk:Finlay McWalter/archive13 (September 14, 2015 → September 13, 2016)
Extended confirmed protection
A barnstar for you!
|The Anti-Vandalism Barnstar|
|For your rescuing of Collision (TV series) from getting messed up. -- AI RPer (talk) 10:53, 7 October 2016 (UTC)|
Sentence of the week
Hi Finlay, for this "so the possibility of TX being in play, perhaps in 8 years, is not the psephological nebbishness it probably is today. " - you get my incredibly irregularly awarded sentence of the week commendation! Thanks for the refs and comment, you gave me chuckle (and hope for my depressing current state of residence). Cheers, SemanticMantis (talk) 18:26, 13 October 2016 (UTC)
Please revoke talk page access
For Linguist 23:37, 16 October 2016 (UTC). User made an . Thanks!
- Meh, let him rant. In any event, it's rarely appropriate for the blocking admin to also be the one to revoke access. -- Finlay McWalter··–·Talk 23:41, 16 October 2016 (UTC)
- Talk page access has now been revoked. Linguist 23:49, 16 October 2016 (UTC)
Two-Factor Authentication now available for admins
Please note that TOTP based two-factor authentication is now available for all administrators. In light of the recent compromised accounts, you are encouraged to add this additional layer of security to your account. It may be enabled on your preferences page in the "User profile" tab under the "Basic information" section. For basic instructions on how to enable two-factor authentication, please see the developing help page for additional information. Important: Be sure to record the two-factor authentication key and the single use keys. If you lose your two factor authentication and do not have the keys, it's possible that your account will not be recoverable. Furthermore, you are encouraged to utilize a unique password and two-factor authentication for the email account associated with your Wikimedia account. This measure will assist in safeguarding your account from malicious password resets. Comments, questions, and concerns may be directed to the thread on the administrators' noticeboard. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:33, 12 November 2016 (UTC)
A new user right for New Page Patrollers
Hi Finlay McWalter.
A new user group, New Page Reviewer, has been created in a move to greatly improve the standard of new page patrolling. The user right can be granted by any admin at PERM. It is highly recommended that admins look beyond the simple numerical threshold and satisfy themselves that the candidates have the required skills of communication and an advanced knowledge of notability and deletion. Admins are automatically included in this user right.
It is anticipated that this user right will significantly reduce the work load of admins who patrol the performance of the patrollers. However,due to the complexity of the rollout, some rights may have been accorded that may later need to be withdrawn, so some help will still be needed to some extent when discovering wrongly applied deletion tags or inappropriate pages that escape the attention of less experienced reviewers, and above all, hasty and bitey tagging for maintenance. User warnings are available here but very often a friendly custom message works best.
ArbCom Elections 2016: Voting now open!
ArbCom Elections 2016: Voting now open!
- What makes you think that? -- Finlay McWalter··–·Talk 17:54, 7 December 2016 (UTC)
- If it resurfaces, we can put an edit notice on that article (and maybe some comment text in that section) directly people to Pizzagate (conspiracy theory). But the overspill that the football article saw (which seems to have been due to one person, thwarted in their attempts to make/edit the conspiracy article) seems to have abated. If the conspiracy article ends up being protected we might see further overspill, but absent that the football article is probably okay. I'd wager that, in a week or two, the locus of internet crazy will have moved to some other nonsense. -- Finlay McWalter··–·Talk 21:17, 7 December 2016 (UTC)