Editing the Wikipedia article Janna McMahan
Hi! I hope you will continue to contribute to Wikipedia. This free encyclopedia that anyone can edit depends on the work of many contributors. I noticed you have just started editing this article. I have made quite a few changes in the form of the article, correcting organization that doesn't conform to the style of biographies in Wikipedia. I also see that you have chosen a Wikipedia user name that is identical with the subject of this biography. There are guidelines for editing in Wikipedia that you may not be aware of.
- Editors in Wikipedia create registered accounts that are effectively anonymous. If you are not Janna McMahan you should not be using this name as your user name. If you are, in fact, Janna McMahan, using this user name does not establish your identity.
- Information in Wikipedia must be supported by cites to reliable sources; this holds even if you are Janna McMahan.
- The subject of a biography in Wikipedia is welcome to discuss changes to the on the talk page of the article. Any errors in a biography must be speedily corrected and content must be supported by reliable sources.
As you can see, there are a number of issues with the article as it stands. I added no information. I did rewrite several paragraphs and did eliminate several sections. I did not add the missing cites in support of the content (marked by citation needed).
- I removed the Biography section heading; this is not needed because this article is a biography.
- I removed all the sections that listed published works and placed the lists in the Bibliography section, removing the content previously in that section.
I do not intend to work on this article further. However, this article urgently needs cites supporting the biographical information.
If you believe I have made errors in editing this article, please say so in this, your talk page. As you see, another editor has already left a message on the article talk page. If you have any questions, I will do my best to help; just leave a message on my talk page. I am not a very experienced editor on Wikipedia but I will suggest other editors when I can not provide an answer. There are many resources for editors listed in the Welcome heading at the top of your user page. Wikipedia needs contributors, and you welcome here. You can get a good start by reading several of the explanatory articles in the Welcome heading. Wikipedia has a Manual of Style (of course!) and many much shorter essays and guidelines; I suggest WP:BLP as a start. Or just ask questions (for this article on Talk:Janna McMahan Read a few Wikipedia biographies of other authors. This is rated a Wikipedia good article; examine it for an idea if how the Wikipedia biography of an author should be organized and cited. - Neonorange (talk) 04:18, 26 November 2013 (UTC)