- 1 Wikipedia:Requests for adminship/Walter
- 2 VWN en WCN
- 3 PR week article
- 4 user:excaliburo
- 5 about bots
- 6 Porto-Novo
- 7 Userpage
- 8 Inline audio link pop-ups
- 9 Deblokkering Mythologica
- 10 Wikizine tip
- 11 Bruges burial
- 12 WikiProject Belgium
- 13 Say no to fair use
- 14 A little mistake
- 15 About Wikizine
- 16 Your user page
- 17 Wikizine
- 18 ArbCom elections are now open!
- 19 ArbCom Elections 2016: Voting now open!
- 20 ArbCom Elections 2016: Voting now open!
- 21 IJsland listed at Redirects for discussion
Hi Walter, just to let you know I posted two additional questions at Wikipedia:Requests for adminship/Walter, would you care to have a look at them? I tried to make them open questions, in order to give you maximum liberty in answering them. tx. --Francis Schonken 08:38, 26 December 2005 (UTC)
- Yes, I have seen them. Thanks, it is good to anwers questions so users can make up there mind. --Walter 11:31, 26 December 2005 (UTC)
I have a question on your current languages on your nomination page. --User:General Eisenhower 02:14, March 25 2006
- What do you mean? That nomination is closed and I do not intend to reapply for at least one year. --Walter 21:50, 25 March 2006 (UTC)
VWN en WCN
Al enige tijd is er een Nederlandstalig chapter in oprichting, te vinden op http://nl.wikimedia.org . Dit wordt de Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland (VWN). Je kunt je interesse om lid te worden van deze vereniging hier aangeven.
Deze vereniging gaat eind augustus/begin september een Wikimedia Conferentie in Nederland (WCN) houden, volgend op Wikimania in Boston, gedeeltelijk erop inspelend middels een aantal discussiegroepen. Om iets dergelijks te organiseren is imput erg gewenst. Dus als je wilt meehelpen, of als je interesse hebt om bij een dergelijk evenement aanwezig te zijn, geef dat dan aan op nl.wikimedia. Ik hoop daar snel je imput tegemoet te zien! Met vriendelijke groet, effeietsanders 21:36, 25 February 2006 (UTC)
PR week article
If you want to see the PR week article (which was subscribtion only), go to OTRS and take a look at Ticket#2006021710004879 Raul654 03:24, 27 February 2006 (UTC)
This is a definite dormant sock of user:Bonaparte. We have already wasted a huge amount of nerve and effort with him. And User:Alucard sepetdalv is not off my hook either. I guess you are a new in this ugly history of User:Bonaparte/sockpuppetry and his persisitent trolling and using open proxiee to pretend that they are from "different continents". In fact, user:Bonaparte is from all over the globe, a true "citizen of the world", so to say. mikka (t) 21:18, 19 March 2006 (UTC)
- I am absolutely not interested in this Bonaparte-sock puppet story. I only know that two users that you have blocked now have come complain about there block here on EN Wikipedia at Meta. You have decided that user user:excaliburo is a sockpuppet of user Bonaparte. user:excaliburo does not agree. You need to inform that user where he can complain about that. I do not know where and he seems also not to know it because he comes to Meta and is annoying people there. --Walter 22:16, 19 March 2006 (UTC)
- I see you were runing for admin. With this attitude you will have problems, colleague. "He comes to meta and annoys people there", welcome to wiki world. That he does not know where to complain is bullshit. The page that appears when a blocked user logs in contains all necessary info. That he did not use regular channels is yet another proof of what you are not interested to hear. mikka (t) 02:09, 20 March 2006 (UTC)
- Hi there, Walter. For convenience and organisation, I've set up a couple of pages pertinent to the bot approvals process on En; these can be found at Wikipedia:Bots/Trial runs and Wikipedia:Bots/Approval log.
- Items on the former list are approved for a one week trial run, while the latter list details all approved bot flags. I think this will lower the administrative overhead, and I'm sure it'll make life easier for the stewards as to who needs what doing when. :)
Ik ben een gebruiker op Wiki NL maar sindskort geblokkeerd voor sokpopperij. Ik heb hier spijt van en zou graag gedeblokkeerd worden zoals je zult zien draag ik ook bij aan Wikipedia bv. het artikel over de heilige Agatha. Ik discusierde hier al over met Oscar maar hij antwoord niet veel en is wat onduidelijk. Ik weet dat ik normaal de ontsnappingclausule zou moeten opvolgen maar ik ken GEEN adres van een betrouwbare medewerker! Help me alsjeblieft, ik zou graag terug bij dragen aan wikipedia NL onder de naam Mythologica.
Ruben alias Mythologica
- Thanks for the tip. For reporting news to Wikizine please do not do it here but on my talk page on Meta --Walter 00:08, 10 December 2006 (UTC)
hier op de Engelstalige Wikipedia werd het dringend tijd dat we er mee begonnen, en dus zou ik je graag uitnodigen voor WikiProject Belgium. Ge hebt het waarschijnlijk razend druk met al uw functies enzo, maar het kan misschien geen kwaad om af en toe eens een kijkje te komen nemen, bovendien zou het leuk zijn voor ons project om iemand als jou er bij te hebben.
Say no to fair use
Just cleaning out my watchlist and saw this "Say no to fair use" banner on your talk page. Can you explain what you mean by it? — Omegatron 16:01, 22 January 2007 (UTC)
- This means that I am totally against the use of anything under the licence "Free use" on this Wikipedia. Greetings, --Walter Do you have news? Report it to Wikizine 23:58, 24 January 2007 (UTC)
- I think you mean "fair use". Why are you against it? — Omegatron 04:36, 25 January 2007 (UTC)
- Correct. Because Wikipedia is about creating a free to use and free to distribute encyclopedia. This is the English language wikipedia, not the American Wikipedia. Using images who are allowed under American law as Fair Use is highly irresponsible behavior. It makes this Wikipedia less free then it could be. Example; The Adventures of Tintin. Those illustrations are not free but are copyright protected. In the USA the can be used under the Fair Use system but outside the USA that is a clear copyright violation. It is hypocritical to use fair use. Or you respect copyright laws or you do not. The good side it that the last years things are improving. Commons does not allow fair use and slowly the use of Fair use in the EN Wikipedia is losing ground. Some day the EN Wikipedia will also a free wikipedia like the non-English Wikipedia are. --Walter Do you have news? Report it to Wikizine 14:07, 25 January 2007 (UTC)
Some day the EN Wikipedia will also a free wikipedia like the non-English Wikipedia are.
- I sincerely hope this never happens. That would be a very sad day for the project.
- Look at The Adventures of Tintin, for example. Those images are not available under a copyleft license and never will be. If not for the concept of fair use or fair dealing, we would not be able to illustrate that article at all! Those who hold copyrights could imprison information forever, making it impossible for us to speak freely or spread knowledge. We could no longer quote people or books without violating copyright and being sued.
- I fully support copyleft and we should use Free images wherever possible. But when this isn't possible, we should use whatever we legally can. Our goal of giving everyone in the world access to the sum of human knowledge is the most important goal of all.
- In the words of Jimbo Wales:
I certainly do not share the attitude that Wikipedia is better than Britannica merely because it is free. It is my intention that we aim at Britannica-or-better quality, period, free or non-free. We should strive to be the best.
- — Omegatron 16:18, 25 January 2007 (UTC)
A little mistake
Hi, I'm an Italian user that read the wonderful magazine that every Week you release :) But, i've noticed that you've done a mistake in the latest post,
[Wiki] - It is now offical. "Wiki" is a word - it must be so because it is now in the Oxford English Dictionary.
Maybe you mean official? :) I know that in this message i've probably written a lot of mistakes but in an official page it's maybe better that there aren't :-) Bye, [Filnik | Talk! | Discus] 17:22, 23 March 2007 (UTC)
- Hi, thanks for the feedback. I only now noticed your message here. Yes, it was supposed to be "official". I do not think confusion is likely so I will not include a correction in next Wikizine.
- Strictly spoken is "official" also not correct. For English is there no institute or government body that defines what English is or not, like exists for several other languages. So a word in English can not have an official status. --Walter (talk) 09:59, 17 June 2009 (UTC)
- Since Wikizine CIV is Wikizine dual-licensed. See text at the end of Wikizine. Content is available under the GNU Free Documentation License http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html and also the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Generic License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/ This was done by request of meta:user:Millosh for use of Wikizine on EN Wikinews. --Walter (talk) 09:48, 17 June 2009 (UTC)
Your user page
Thanks for your work on Wikizine. I understand why it would be closed but I hope that you and anyone else who worked on Wikizine would consider writing for the Signpost which is very alive and well. --Pine✉ 20:42, 30 December 2012 (UTC)
- Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I am very pleased that the Wikipedia Signpost is still doing well. I always used it as a reference point for Wikizine regarding its organisation and quality. The Signpost is very different. Not only in form but also its target audience. It is a local newspaper bringing the local wiki-specific news. Nothing wrong with that. But I do not see what I can do here. --Walter (talk) 23:48, 30 December 2012 (UTC)
You appear to be eligible to vote in the current Arbitration Committee election. The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to enact binding solutions for disputes between editors, primarily related to serious behavioural issues that the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the ability to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail. If you wish to participate, you are welcome to review the candidates' statements and submit your choices on the voting page. For the Election committee, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 08:51, 23 November 2015 (UTC)
ArbCom Elections 2016: Voting now open!
ArbCom Elections 2016: Voting now open!
IJsland listed at Redirects for discussion
An editor has asked for a discussion to address the redirect IJsland. Since you had some involvement with the IJsland redirect, you might want to participate in the redirect discussion if you have not already done so. Thryduulf (talk) 14:28, 24 May 2017 (UTC)